Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Just curious...a few sailing vessel questions here
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:08 PM
I was recently admiring a beautiful 100-ft sailing yacht and have a few questions for you "sailing yachties".

- I saw that there were to headsails and they are really close together.  In what conditions/situations do you use one versus the other? 
- If a sailing yacht (100 feet) has only one engine and a bow thruster, how do you maneuver the boat to/from a dock (i.e. walking sideways)?  A motor vessel can pivot with both engines.
- Is it likely that a sailing yacht of this size (100 feet) would have both a bow and stern thruster?

Thanks for the input.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:10 PM
some sailing yachts have both a bow and stern thruster.

monback
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:52 PM

If the two forstays are close together she is a sloop carrying her entire sail wardrobe it the air.  She is a dog and every sailors curse.  Owners pull this two headstay game to make more space on the interior of the yacht. Extra cabins and a big screen TV.   At present 15 percent of the yacht that I sail is dedicated to sail storage.  Down low, out of the windage and UV, were unused sails belong..  Imagine seeing an Americas cup boat sailing around the course with a sail hoisted  in the air that is not being used.  A sailing yacht  with twin forestay furlers is a dog. Motoryacht with a mast.
    As far as bow and stern thrusters.  A sailing yacht carries huge lateral resistance in the keel. I am 15 ft deep   She will not move sideways.
    I have both bow and stern thrusters  35kw, and I can not effectivly move laterally. I must bow out, then stern out to crab off a lee.   A stern thruster is really not required.  My rudder is so big that I can easily control the stern.  The bow is overpowered by the furled sails, mast and rigging with a  lack of  lateral resistance forward of the keel.  A bow thruster overcomes this and makes my day easy.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:09 PM
Monback....thanks for the input, but one question.

You say you can control the stern with the big rudder...if you only have one engine (and prop)...how do you move the stern in any given direction using prop wash? There's no pivot here like a motor vessel.

A single prop vessel (sail or power) will have either a right-handed or left-handed prop going forward, and when in reverse, the prop wash is in a different direction.

monback
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:35 PM

Sure, the propwalk is a factor in every boat.  The fact remains that a sailing yachts rudder is huge and it is very effective steering the boat at low speeds.. Right now, tied up to the dock, I could start the motor, engage forward gear and make the bow move port of starboard simple by turning the rudder.... with no boat speed, I am tied to the dock.
    A motor yacht has tiny stunted rudders that rely on high speed water crossing them to work.. You cant get this water velocity when slow ,close in manovering on a motoryacht .  A motor yacht can and must use its huge props, forward and reverse, left and right, to  prowalk and force lateral movement.

To crab off a dock  on this sailing yacht, all I must do is turn the rudder hard over , steering the bow of the yacht INTO to dock, engage forward gear and them hit the  Bow Thruster to push the bow AWAY  from the dock.  I can almost move laterally like this if the wind is low and  if I have enough space in front of the yacht to get the ship walking.

Average 0 out of 5