Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Employment paperwork – when to bin it?
shane williams
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 10:18 AM

Hello again, all-knowing MatrixLloyd… simple question: do you know how long I need to hold on to my employment contract for? cheers, Shane
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 10:38 AM

Hi Shane. That’s a great question. If you end up in the situation of not being paid, you’re going have a much harder time making any form of recovery if you don’t have your employment contract to hand. It’ll contain your job description, details of your salary, leave, termination conditions, etc. If you don’t want them clogging up your cabin, send them to a friend ashore and make sure they keep them safe. You should keep them for at least six years following the end of your period of employment (this is this a common limitation period in many countries – after which you can’t make a claim anyway) and preferably much longer. Of course, if you take on any job, other than casual daywork, before signing an employment contract then you’re a fool and, quite frankly, you don’t deserve to have any comeback when you’re not paid. Kind regards. Benjamin Maltby. MatrixLloyd. info@matrixlloyd.com.
shane williams
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 11:27 AM

I appreciate that. You guys are magic! shane.

Average 5 out of 5