Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Ugliest Sailing Yacht
kdhguard00
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:01 PM

Admit it...you were thinking the same thing!  What sailboats have just had you shaking your head in disbelief?  What were they thinking?  Name your shockers here!  I'll start this rolling.  Don't hate me!

Phocea
Islander
Gliss

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:02 PM
Bad call , Phocea was built for Alain Colas and sailed single handed in the 1976 transatlantic race.  She is a very fast, long ,elegant ship  .  She is stunning on a  25knt close reach
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:33 PM
Gliss is a great looking boat, very functional design, don't be blinded by the non-traditional colour. Phocea used to be great before it got tarted-up like a middle-eastern brothel.No argument with Islander R.I.P.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:17 PM

Gliss is OK..even the colour. Cool in the sunshine.   She is not ugly in anyway...... Briand is a talented  designer.  Good separation between the inner and forstay, nice sheerline, good bouyancy foreward., correct rake to the transom for a platform.

But Plenty  of   details that  would make her  impossible to live with. 

The silly Hidden Anchor ??  Ive battled out of anchorages in gales, hauling anchor ,as the bow plunging thru green water.

That blasted roller boom...mainsail self destructs in a sloppy sea , batten  compression tears up the luff , I can never control the leach line and each time I get flashed by lightning I end up disabled and struggle to get the beast on deck.

That Topside Porthole aft of the mast lays directly on the fenders max loaded when  being compresed against the dock in a blow.

Just about the same as the rest of the modern yachts, nothing new... but cetainly not ugly..

Average 0 out of 5