Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Best Looking Sailing Yacht
heatheradmin
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:45 PM

We've all got our opinions and here's the place to share them with everyone else.  What sailing yachts have you seen that have made you drool and wish you had a shammy?  Or maybe they've just made you wish you had a few million to throw around and a nice strong breeze to take all your cares away!

kdhguard00
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:48 PM

Scheherazade (ok, maybe I'm biased as former crew)
Rebecca, Visione, Adele
Anything with  J in it's name!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:42 PM
Since a yacht is a worthless thing, its only redemption is beauty.  Beauty has nothing to do with size.  All the yachts you mention suffer from Gigantism.  The true beauty of  a sailing yacht is an elegant form married to  supreme all ocean, all weather capability.  The giants cant tack, jibe , anchor and cannot venture far from services. They are simply  circus shows, always one step from bankruptcy.  A yacht such as  the Sparkman and Stephens, "Dora IV" renamed  " Tenacious " under Ted Turner and then renamed "War Baby" under Warren Brown , absolutely conquered the world and is truly stunning to look at. A most beautiful creation
kdhguard00
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:17 PM

When I said, "Anything with a J in it's name" I was referring to the J class yachts such as Endeavour, Ranger, Velsheda and Shamrock.  I apologize for assuming a basic knowledge of nautical history.  How can you say that a J class yacht..

"...suffer(s) from Gigantism.  The true beauty of  a sailing yacht is an elegant form married to  supreme all ocean, all weather capability.  The giants cant tack, jibe..."

These yachts competed in the early America's Cups.  I think they can tack  

To help inform the masses, here's a link to Wikipedia explaining the history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-class_yacht

<< Velsheda

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:03 PM
My god, Ive been sailing yachts for 30 years I know well what a J is.  Those J's are ridiculous. The reason every J died on a mud bank is because they are not seaworthy.  Nobody wanted them because the design was so poor.  J's were reborn to parade around classic boat shows. Almost a fetish. Which J boat circled Antarctica, won the Fastnet . 
    Next time your beam reaching in an ocean gale with your J , ease the boom out to unload the helm , then  take a picture to show us what it looks like to drag the boom at speed thru the back of a wave.  Sorry....they are freak shows built for Long Island Sound day sailing.  The overhangs aft and forward are racing rule driven and hold up to no principle in naval architecture.  Boat speed is a function of waterline length.  The J's are long on deck 130 ft and short on the water 85 ft , they are slow for their size.  Most of them were scrapped within a short time of launch.
  The  rule states that beauty is a perfect blend of  form and function.  What is the function  of a J boat ?  If your eye is drawn to classics its best to have a look at Ticonderoga...a perfect blend, still going strong and will most likely smoke a J across the Atlantic
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:51 PM

Oh and Perhaps you are not clear about Gigantism.  It impresses the shoreside crowd but never delivers the rush a sailor craves. Only truly beautiful yachts deliver a  rush.   To demonstrate I suggest you bring the J,   we assemble full crews and proceed to the Kornati Archipelago next summer. The Kornati is one of  the most dramatic sailing days anywhere.  25 miles dead to windward thru a channel 1 mile wide and so deep that you bow touches the shore  before your keel hits the bottom. Generally takes about 35 tacks to break into Telesica.  When we drop the hook, steam is rising off my crews backs . If your still up for more fun Ill take you into the Velibiski Kanal and we can play chicken with the Bora.   After we can talk Gigantism, form and function and the beauty of sailing. 

and Kialoa 3 was a very beautiful yacht,  she must deserve a spot in the hall of fame.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 4:09 AM
Any Fife will do.
junior
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 10:39 AM

as modern yachts the ketch's like Merit or Stienlager, drawn by Bruce Farr for the whitbread, are very handsome when  power reaching under a five sail combo

Dennis Connors, Cotton Blossom II   is mighty fine

for you Fife guys Cotton Blossom IV  ,Halloween.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 1:12 AM
And she was built in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin by Palmer Johnson Yachts who built some of the most beautiful and ocean going sailing yachts in the world. But they no longer build Sailing Yachts. It is now in the hands of the very capable Dutch builders.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:05 AM
There are Swedes and Kiwi yacht builders who certainly deserve recognition for building fine sailboats, a few in New England, and England as well.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:52 AM
Yes indeed we have some sailing yacht aficionados around here.  Yachting was born in Northern Europe.  The Norwegian Johan Anker and the legendary "Dragon".  Or the Dane   Knud Reimers  designer of the beautiful Tumlaren doublenders and Agnelli's yacht  "Agneta" .  So many beautiful sailing yachts in the world.   Im sure there are plenty of Kiwi lovelies around but we never see them because the most beautiful things in life are always small.
tonyh
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:24 PM

Cambria is a beauty
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 6:30 PM

Cambria ! Whoa....and incredible work of functional art. !!!!!  Its easy to overlook the most beautiful sailing yachts in the world because they are  many ! The art of design has been evolving for very long.

The question to ask is,, What is  the most beautiful motoryacht?  I see  many...perhaps most , that are simply square fuel tanks with flybridges and awlgrip added on.  They may be trendy, roomy  and built with unlimited budgets but  rarely do I spot a motoryacht  that is truly beautiful.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:41 PM
Cambrias are lovely, too bad David Walters couldn't keep the company going. Oyster, Swan, Baltic, Skye, Hinckley, Bristol, Alden, S&S, Jungert, Royal Huisman, Fife, PJ Motoryachts, well you have the classics like Trumpy, the older Burgers have some very pretty examples and were yachts that could actually weather a sea. The old Marala has always been a favorite of mine, along with Rosenkavalier. The old Chris Crafts and Hackercrafts were a work of art. As were the old classic NYC commuter yachts.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:29 PM

Too many dipshits.  Cambria the K.

I did tactics and drove it for 1 regatta.  Loved it.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:40 PM

before I get a post saying "Oh so you only did one, what's wrong there?" like a dumb ass seppo that you are - I had another comittment.

Another post here asks about working with 'ricans.  I've worked with a few seppos that are great BUT one or two that really suck.  LAZY is the majority opinion.  Work shy in "Stralian and in English; well we just don't talk about that.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 8:02 AM

The problem with the Jumbo sailing beauties is that its almost a curse to buy the thing. You go bankrupt or to jail or worse.  Gardinni with Puritan Bernard Tapie with club med or Kozlowski and  Endeavor.

As for Motoryachts, its not really a motoryacht and I cant remember her name.  Have any of you ever seen the elegant, ancient , riveted iron , canoe sterned  ferry boat that works the Elafiti Islands ?  Beautiful. !   Moves thru the water at speed leaving a wake like a rowing shell.  When Im sleeping in my bunk I can hear it enter the harbour one mile off  by her distinctive WOSHHH WOSHH  propellor.  Must be huge and turning at 30 revolotions per minute.  Its a joy to watch that old timer come alongside the short stubb of Quay in Sipan during the afternoon seabreaze. Those guys nose in  at speed with  aft spring and power forward until the bow of the ship is literally inside the Cafe at the root of the Quay.  Have a look at the fendering and cladding on her...all hand made with rope.  That crew understands what they are driving..  Very elegant  ship.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 8:51 AM
Gardini was Il Moro.  Feruzzi still has Puritan.  With that mega engine noise.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 10:20 AM

Most beautiful motoryacht ?  

Of the "modern" era it has to be the Jon Bannenberg designed The One , ex Carinthia VI.

Currently berthed in Monaco I think, she is beautiful.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 10:58 AM

Hmm... might be suffering from old BN sydrome but I thought  Gardinni was  a  Feruzzi   by marrige ?   And what ever became of his beautiful  GITANA

And The One , ex Carinthia VI aint bad.    My eye likes a motoryacht  in which the sheer is sweet and the  main deck wraps around the ship so crew  can defend  the topsides or pick up a man over board. Shame about the crude name  " THE ONE"   doesnt sound classy  to the ear when reapeated over the VHF three times... sorta like CHAIIRMAN OF THE BOARD"  or "TITS"

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 11:45 AM
G8?  She's somewhere in RI I think. Great boat.  Drove her for a while, loved every minute.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:51 AM
i like it

Average 3 out of 5