Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Famous People
roger
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:04 PM

CD

Dirtball

LR

Basic

K McL

Johnny 501

Anyone please add. 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:10 PM
That's ibna days you're talking about
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:33 PM
Dirtball famous ???  or infamous ?  Hmmm.  If I remember correctly Dirtball broke into the raceboat scene sailing with Aguablob from the Farr office...perhaps Bofum ( dem Sharky boys)   might be able to give you dirtball's present position update......
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:19 PM

Jughead, Boomerang crew at the same time as Boobie, Basic, Matt and Nick.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:48 PM

Man have I got some stories about that one!  I can't print them because of the 3rd party damage but xxxx me there was some damage done in those days.

Dirtball was a lot of thing; but he was (and I hope still is) an honest, upright dirtball.

I emailed Basic to see if he know's were he is.

More soon

tonyh
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:31 AM

What about Chas from Taz?

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:44 AM

Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!  Chaz from Taz  !!!!!  ...this boat is upside down....any winch handles left ?  you just bounced that water balloon off the commodore's wife's head....  its Chaz !! gliding down the bannister of the yacht club head first, tumbling into the awards presentation and never losing a drop of precious beer, those seagulls aren't sitting there standing on the Shingles......

you have been around for while my boy... careful with the sun, hows your back doing these days ? Knees OK ? .   I say free IBNA lifetime Gold card  membership, a permanent broad reach  and a bronze plate on the St Tropez sea wall  to you  !!!  Chaz from Taz !!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:15 AM
Hey, what about the chics ?   Pussy Galore ?   or Rose Bud ?   with her classic  IBNA  pre party blowout  shanty....           "  feed me, F..k me get me high, pay the bills and dont ask why "
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:02 PM

you got it, nobody the right side of 50 remembers Chas from Taz!

Last saw him propping up the bar of the Royal Cork having delivered a boat from Oz, about 16 years ago.

The question is where is he now?

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:21 PM

No idea, long time.  Might check with  the Breakfast Creek,  many  BN's pull through.   Or head down for a Quite Little Drink after the Hobart,   keep a sharp lookout ..... report all sightings.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:47 PM
Roo and the Sardinian rodeo.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:48 AM
Hey !  What about Shag ?  Shags deserves an aft seat on the BN rail.....
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:55 PM

The late great Tux. Whitey.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:26 PM

Whoa...Whitey..... sy Destination....... looks like a few BNs on this Dockwalk site.  I thought they were all stinkers and stews.     Next thing someone is going to mention THE WHALE......

kdhguard00
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:52 PM

Hahahaha!  Shags is one of my friends!  She'll just laugh her head off to find out we are talking about her.  Let's tell her.  Is Jughead the same Juggie from Newport, RI?  And Pussy Galore is for real.  Isn't she in Antigua these days?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:58 PM
Sorry, shags is a guy...foul mouthed, hard driving, stand aside or loose a limb type ocean racing  sailor.    Grey beard by now. PG could be in Antigua...thats were I last saw her in 1996 .
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:40 PM
Frizzle. Neil Harvey. The Kialoans.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2009 1:37 PM
Ya...Chaz from Taz.  It was late 80's....we were in Newport RI preparing for the Bermuda race.   Me and Chaz headed to the pub. Chaz had a broken  right arm in a full cast up to his shoulder.  We got to the pub, chaz was doing some left handed drinking and noticed a few city boys betting on the pool table.  Chaz put his quarter up for a challenge and ran the table , left   handed, three   times in a row.  The city boys got mad , a fight erupted, chaz threw his beer to the floor, the city boys skidded out on the spilled beer and bit the dust ....... me and Chaz hightailed the hell outa there.......
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:56 PM

Was anyone at the IBNA Fall Ball at Newport Offshore, early eighties, before going South?  Jimmy Buffet played.   Admission included an "In Us They Trust" tee shirt.  Add Blaine and Diana to the list. And Larry Gray.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:13 PM
Cant remember that BN workout ?  Hmmm  might be old age.... and that Must be Love Machine Blaine....
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 12:21 AM

Love Machine Blaine, indeed.  It was a great workout. And not old age at all.  We were extremely lucky to be there at that time.  Not that it would be so bad to start over now. Minus thirty years or so.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 11:34 AM

If we could only turn back the clock thirty years or so....Whoa!! I would certainly  have taken a fistfull of BN fun tickets and bought Microsoft stock.  Then I would be able to attenend the 40 year aniversery IBNA blow out bash driving a brand new blue 250 ton Travellift with custom wheels ,air conditioned cab. wearing my Mt Gay cap......
   If your going ancient  history guess you better mention Clancy "AURA"  "HAWKEYE" that crazy bilgeboarder.  I cant remember many names  from the days of Running Tide chaseing K3 upwind in the stream.  I still have a crumpled up  magazine cover picture around the boat somewhere.   Helicopter shot of Tide striking the blooper astern of Mistress Quickly....  Remember Mistress's wild Key West spinanaker ? The cool part of the photo is the time frame.  All the crew in full action, wearing blue jeans, flannel shirts and wool caps.   Big difference from the style gear today.  Think the Italians Il Moro started it.  I remember sailing across and doing my first Sardina Cup and being blown away by the fashion. What about those white crew killer Line 7 Smocks ?  ..Im an annapolis water rate...better mention  Keyworth, andy Ogelvie, Seagull, Patterson, Sharky brothers.  

Circus Maximus or Trashman going down off Hatterass...any you guys there?  Always fun to run into a gang of old BN' and tell tales.....makes you remeber who you are....... to many white good humour men  driving stinky bus's around the water these days.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 7:05 PM
We'd lose ten pounds wearing those Line 7 white smocks.  Remember Circus Maximus winning the Candy Store Cup by flying a spinnaker racing twice around Newport Harbor in July?  I believe Tux drove.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 7:40 PM

Ya... White Line 7...SORC, foredeck man  in white went forward to spike the guy, pole flicked  him over the side.  Perfectly nice day,  whitecaps.  I was the guy keeping a finger on him as we went back.  After 500 ft he became invisable in the whitecaps.  A real panic set in.  We had to follow the wake bubbles back to his estimated position.  Got him back.  Never wore white gear agian.   Who invented that stuff ?   sweat like a pig,    about as useful  as change for a quarter half way across the Atlantic.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 11:58 PM
K3-Fenderbelly and Alistair and Stevie
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:19 PM

For all the kids out there we had some great times it’s a shame we are not recognized for what we did for the industry. I was at the Newport parties even got married after one in 83, Shag and Filthy, Whitey, Rags and all the other ones, NBNA if any body cares to look at some of the license plates at IYCA you might see on that is “IBNA” .

I even got the captain of the year award in 82 some will remember the Virgin Islands New Years Eve one year. Does any body remember W&W.?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:09 PM
hey guys, i came by your conversation when i was searching for info about Chaz from Taz. I'm sure he's moved on now but i saw him in Olongapo Phillipiens around August of this year. I'm a Marine and I was on deployment out there and just so happend to meet some of his crew and they introduced me to the Chaz from Taz. I spent the whole night drinking and listning to his stories. That was an amazing night, probably the highlight of my deployment. Anyways I thought you might like to hear that he's still around and full of piss and vinagar.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:03 PM

Let's really go back in time.  What about Sorcery, Phantom, La Forza del Destino, American Eagle, Boomerang etc. and the real Boat N*****ers who had a real good time working hard.  No complaining.

Trashman was built as Tantra, I ran it when it was new.  Shame it was lost.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 5:22 PM
Passed Trashman off the  Capes, southerly gale,  Adams held course,  I split off on starboard  to get east of the stream before the storm hit. Lucky choice.  That baby packed a punch, covered something like 60 miles in 4 hours wildly surfing down waves under bare poles.. We limped into Bermuda for a few dark and stormys.   I was sailing the yacht Secret Love. 
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:33 PM
I assume you are talking about the 58' Trashman that sank in 82? John Lippoth from Falmouth was the skipper when she went down. BN to the bone, but made some bad mistakes.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:43 PM
Trashman was a beauty. Every once in a while they run the lifetime movie that was made, based on the book that the woman wrote called "Albatross." Movie sucks but there are some moments in it that ring true. Don't drink the sea water no matter how thirsty you get.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:09 PM
Didnt really know the Trashman gang.  Guy I spoke with on the vhf was Mark Adams. 
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:19 PM
And since this was a few years ago I seem to remember that she was a Boothbay Challenger ?  What I do remember was the weather being fierce and in the morning as we were starting  to get our act together, my vhf came to life and it was a British couple sailing a little cruising boat about 1 mile away from us.  The old boy asked if we were OK !!.   I didnt know Trashman went down until I ran into Marks sister...she worked at that marine store in Annapolis.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:00 AM
There was some weird deal about it, someone reported to the CG that Trashman was safe and sound in a marina somewhere so they stopped looking for them... meanwhile the crew were floating around on a leaky liferaft, beating off the sharks. Lots of questions about what went down there (sorry, about the use of the word down), and most will never be answered. It is the sea, and when you go to sea you are making a deal, there is no guarantee that you'll get out alive. One way or the other it'll be a helluva a ride.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:01 AM
how about mike perkins sailing "dapne girl" across biscayne bay with his lifesized stuffed gorilla sitting at the helm, hands on the wheel. perkins goes below just as the news helicopter makes a pass and beams the picture live on tv while the owner is sitting at home watching all this on the evening news.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:10 AM

1982,  I am indeed getting old.   That Trashman  storm came on hard Southerly, force 10 for about 12hrs, then went hard NW very rapidly.  The sea conditions were wild.   NW gale blowing directly into the face of huge southerly waves. I still remember that northerly blowing the tops off the southerly waves.  Looked like one of those Hawaii surfer movies on a offshore wind day.  I would imagine that Trashman missed a wave and was overwhelmed. 
   During the NW phase we were sailing dead downwind with no sails leaping over confused , breaking southerly waves. On Secret Love,  the boat was flexing so much, fore and aft,  that she pinched her prop shaft and sheared off the engine mounts.  Had a BN chic named Rosie with me  calling  breakers.    We were afraid to stand up at the steering wheel lest we get flattened. All and all an uncomfortable 24hrs in funky white Line7 smocks.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:34 AM

Ya... those dam helicopters.  Owner couldn't make Antigua race week so we went on to do our duty. We cross the finish line downwind, get the gun and a few of the BN chics decided to take off their shirts to go topless for the ride home. Helicopter got the shot,  it made the cover of the next years Race week invitation and I caught hell from the owner.

Maxi world cup in Sardinia.   We were freight training downwind, water flying, all decked out in red foul weather gear.   Helicopter passed overhead and snapped a dramatic shot just as I was taking a pee over the stern rail.  Photo made the press, I caught hell from the owner.

Prize giving in Monaco by Prince Rainier.  We were out of the money so the owner  flew home and deputized me to pick up the also ran trophy.  Im sitting down in the hot sun with a cold beer in a plastic cup waiting.  That beer cup was resting right on my crouch and sweating like mad. Big wet spot. Our name gets called, I step up to the podium for the hand shake photo...snap !  Photo made Yachting World, looked like I peed in my pants.  I caught hell from the owner.
  Dam photographers, BN curse..

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:17 PM
Ahh...the BN corner.  How comforting.  Whats identifies a  BN's is that they never stand about and complain like yachties.    A BN only keeps sea stories and fond  memories of a crazy  life.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 7:45 PM

Yes, because we have rode-out these storms before. We know that as long as we survive, this too (what ever "this" may be) shall pass.

Maybe it IS time for a BN family reunion? No one under 40 allowed.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 8:26 PM
Forty and under sit at the kids table.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 8:52 PM
Kids' table indeed.
tonyh
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 11:55 AM

Read this story about some real sailors.

Only from 1993 , which proves that you don't have to have sailed with wire guys  and worn an oiled aran sweaters to be considered "hard".

http://markchisnell.blogspot.com/2009/03/cape-horn-tales.html

monback
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:19 AM

Yes I remember reading about that adventure...a  legendary hard days night.   Those sailors like Cam Lewis are  always racing  something wild .  Looks like an  inside overlap to me.   ROOM !!!

Oh and I still like the way  wire genoa sheets tacked like a bullet..and that nice sound coming off the winch drum .  Remember    how some clumsy  deckhand  with a hangover would lay out a brand new set of  galvanized wire genoa sheets,  not untwist the coils before D shackling on....came back after the first race looking like a 5 meter spring  .  Foredeck guys foulweather gear loved    fishhooks in  afterguys.. 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:52 PM
I have scars on my back and arms from those days!  Gives a new meaning to "Duck and cover".
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:24 PM
Saw a nasty accident when the wire to rope splicing parted. The main sheet trimmer was in the way, his chest was shredded. Lots of blood. Much rum was required.
For we are many
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:29 PM

junior
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:36 AM

What was the name of the BN that got launched when the wire afterguy snapped .  Think it was Nirvana ?  Late 80's ?    Hobart Race ?  I always think about it when Im wound up on a pole to the headstay reach and see crew sitting on the lazy sheet..
billreilly
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:50 PM

junior wrote:
What was the name of the BN that got launched when the wire afterguy snapped .  Think it was Nirvana ?  Late 80's ?    Hobart Race ?  I always think about it when Im wound up on a pole to the headstay reach and see crew sitting on the lazy sheet..

Dave Hutchinson

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:26 AM
Pig roast. Fort Lauderdale Beach next to Yankee Clipper. Friday, April 3rd, 2pm until... Alison O putting it together. Why? Because she can.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:27 AM
Oh, yeah...BYOB.

Average 4.5 out of 5