Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Cordless rechargeable crew nik nak syndrome
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:10 PM
Confessor...I need help fast.  I'm flipping out......cordless rechargeable crew nik nak syndrome.. BIG TIME...they are literally  growing out of every bulkhead. .  Yesterday I went forward with my drill and screw driver to mount a toilet paper rack in the crew head.  Every outlet was double full of electric tooth brush's, shavers, mobile phones....I bailed out, grabbed the long extension cord and headed to the ladies head and...same thing...electric hair whackers, toothbrushes, some dam thing that looked like an electric Cucumber...spider webs of cables everywhere.  I got an even longer extension and headed for the saloon...laptops , gameboys, half dozen more mobiles, music players ...junk everywhere, in every outlet..  I gave up, broke out the super long extension and plugged into the boat next door.  Help...What is the industry standard...two mobiles and a gameboy per crew ?..what about those dam electric cucumbers...How many ?  Advice please
Crew Confessor
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2009 3:19 AM

Dear Nik Nackered,

First, take a deep and cleansing breath and repeat after me, "I will not allow things like power chargers to upset me," repeat this until your blood pressure has dropped and that vein on your forehead has ceased to pulse angrily. Are you calm now? No? Take another deep breath and repeat. In through your nose, out through your mouth. I trust you are feeling better and able to pay attention to what I am going to tell you. There are many things to flip out in life over but this is not one of them. Granted this is the sort of thing that can piss you off, but it's not a biggie, this is a small thing. We can fix this.

Rule #1 No chargers in the saloon except under special circumstances ( ex. a video camera) and only if they are removed immediately after charging. Which brings me to...

Rule #2 Appliances in need of charging must be unplugged once they are fully charged. In the case of electric toothbrushes they often hold their charge for weeks, same with many phones. So, charge it, then stow it. No exceptions. If crew could cooperate and buy the same brand of toothbrush (I mention this because they do tend to take up some counter space) it would reduce clutter even more. All chargers will be labeled with the crew person's name, a charger found plugged in without a label will be tossed. Thereafter any charger plugged in and unattached to a device being charged will be held for ransom by whomever is the designated officer of the chargers, crew will be required to pay a pre-determined amount to regain their charger. This system will work well, crew understand the $ motivation.

Not knowing exactly what the configuration/setup in your crew quarters is I feel that I can't go into much further detail, suffice to say that, if space permits, a designated power strip(s) docking station with shelves, might be another possibility, especially if you have a large crew with a lot of laptops. But it sounds to me as if most of these chargers you are bitching about are just left in sockets everywhere, attached to nothing so what I've suggested so far should help. It seems like every day we there is another "must have" gadget that needs to be plugged in some time.

Anyone out there with a brilliant solution or ideas to this problem that will only grow, please share them with us all. I'm sure there is stew or two who has dealt with this before, lets hear it! Oh, and if we want to be green we really shouldn't leave anything plugged in unless we're using it, they call it phantom power and it really adds up. Keep this in mind when you are paying the power bill and you'll save yourself a surprising amount of money.

One last thing... I am curious about this "electric Cucumber" and I am wondering what a powered vegetable would do? Did you turn the power on? What happened? Remember, don't let yourself get all charged up over this... and do please get back to me about the electric cucumber. Want to know more about that.

Your Crew Confessor

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2009 4:35 PM

Confessor, I gave your suggestions a try, gathered the crew, scooped  the rechargeables off the crew mess table, heaped them up on the bookshelf behind and had a chat. 
    First I asked why on earth does each  crew need at least 3 mobile phones ?  My stewardess clarified,   phone #1 is so her  boyfriend in Italy can call local, its cheaper,  phone # 2 is so  her boyfriend in the UK can call local, its cheaper and naturally she needs a # 3 local French number, its cheaper... Hmmm, makes sense to me.
     Why does every crew need two laptops plus an organizer ?  The deckhand expounded, one mini laptop for moving out fast  searching for wifi connections, one big boy because the screens are better for pictures, then one pocket organizer to keep it all together...Hmm, makes sense to me.
     I asked the chef why she needs all those cordless carving knives,  juicers,  mini blenders, cake frosting squeezers..and she said..STAY OUT OF THE GALLEY,  mind your own business...Hmm, makes sense to me....
    I asked the engineer why he needs all those cordless screwdrivers, drills, grinders, saws...and he stated point blank that he has to have them because every outlet in the boat is occupied by recharger plugs so he cant plug his normal tools into the wall....Hmmm, makes sense to me.
   Then I pointed out that things like a cordless  toothbrush can be unplugged and maintain a good charge and asked why on earth must those electric cucumbers be left  permanently on charge. The girls protested that endurance is critical... Hmm, makes sense to me.....
  Then I asked why not gather up all the silent chargers  and put them into your crew drawers and they answered that they already have hundreds of accessories packed into their drawers , they don't have any more room, not one square centimeter of space left...Hmmm, makes sense to me.
  My heads spinning,  I'm beaten,  I give up...I'm off to the bar for  beer   ....because it makes sense to me

Crew Confessor
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:15 PM

Dear Nik Nackered,

It does appear you are exaggerating just a tad. You did not fully follow my advice. Of course, I refer specifically to Rule #2, which if you implement correctly will likely fund your beer drinking. Give it another go and report back.

Rule #2 Appliances in need of charging must be unplugged once they are fully charged. In the case of electric toothbrushes they often hold their charge for weeks, same with many phones. So, charge it, then stow it. No exceptions. If crew could cooperate and buy the same brand of toothbrush (I mention this because they do tend to take up some counter space) it would reduce clutter even more. All chargers will be labeled with the crew person's name, a charger found plugged in without a label will be tossed. Thereafter any charger plugged in and unattached to a device being charged will be held for ransom by whomever is the designated officer of the chargers, crew will be required to pay a pre-determined amount to regain their charger.

This system will work well, crew understand the $ motivation.

Your Crew Confessor

Average 0 out of 5