Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
engineer looking to get a start
Moiz
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 11:01 PM

Hi,

I recently graduated with a mech. engineering degree, and after having worked for a design firm for 1.5 years, I'm looking to transition to working on yachts.  I've worked on MEP systems for buildings, so I have an understanding of how they are designed, but lack hands-on knowledge.

I currently live in the NY area, and am thinking about leaving my job come May.  I am playing with the idea of shooting down to Florida hat in hand, looking for a job.  I may then also take an entry level certification course (unless I find one around here).  Should I apply for positions on the crew and assist the engineer to get training, or is it possible to be an apprentice?

Thanks for your help!

--Moiz

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:44 AM

Hey engine guy, you might search for advice by asking George at yachtengineers. Havent had a beer with him in a while, but he was always a helpful type .

http://www.yachtengineers.net/General/homeContactUs.asp

Moiz
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:20 PM

Thanks for your help!

Average 0 out of 5