Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew attacked in St Thomas?
Pascal
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:45 PM

saw this today... St Thomas has never been a very safe place, let's hope this is an isolated / lack of common sense incident.  It's easy to go one block too far...

Superyacht crew mugged in USVI

By IBI Magazine/Michael Howorth

One of several superyachts that sailed out from Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, spooked by the murder of Drew Gollan, has reportedly been the subject of an attack and robbery in the USVI. Crew from Alfa Nero were going ashore in St Thomas and were mugged. Early reports suggest that one of them has been injured and hospitalised.

IBI has now heard this story from two different sources and will try to obtain more as the day progresses. One captain has stated: "Whilst such news may generate a wry smile from those in Antigua who told you so, one can not help but feel that the modern world has arrived in the Caribbean with all its attendant problems and that if the area is to benefit from the superyacht business then the islands need to look into ways in which the crews who work on them are better protected."

(3 February 2009)

junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:53 PM

You know Pascal,   when you look around at the modern yachting world you just cant help but notice how gigantic, vulgar, Pharaohic  in scale the yachts have become. I have a feeling that this over the top excess just infuriates poor people and makes yachts and yachties a target of their rage.      You and me from the rich world grin and bear it when we see this money gone wild excess...gee, it makes jobs !!!  Perhaps.  And Perhaps in future these mega Gigayachts will either have to travel around in a self defense security bubble or simply stay tied to the dock behind security barriers  in the south of France.  Be interesting to see what the future will bring.

Pascal
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:16 PM

"gigantic, vulgar, Pharaohic  in scale the yachts have become"

oh come on, that's no excuse for crime.  I used to live in the islands, mostly St Barths but traveled all the time to SXM, STT, and more and crime was an issue all the way back to the 80s!   In St thomas for instance, you woudln't want to go one block too far down Main Street or Back Street at night.  Same with St Maarten...  On both islands, you woudl drive with your doors locked at night (if your car had doors )

and back then a 60 footer was considered a mega yacht... so yacht size is irrelevant.

part of the problem is that for all these years, most officials have been soft of crime and not sending a clear message that robbing a tourist is a serious crime.

maybe it has to do with the fact that many crews don't see the dangers.  They think they are safe in the islands since there are so many tourists and they're not in a big metro area.  I've seen some real stupid example of this attitude over the years with people taking chances when it comes to their safety.

junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:48 PM

I'm not trying to make an excuse for crime.  I have been sailing boats around the world my whole life and I know dam well what it feels like to stand out, with a glorious yacht, in a sea of poverty.  The scale and behavior of the modern mega yachts even stuns me.  Not long ago, in a third world port, I was walking the town dock with a local doctor. A huge megayacht was alongside with a deckhand standing watch at the gangway.   Out of interest the doctor  walked up the deckhand and asked whether this was a ferry boat or cruise ship ?  The deckhand, with scorn in his eyes, snapped back...no its a private megayacht and please stay clear of the gangway.  My friend the doc was  very embarrassed.
 Again, I make no excuse for crime, I simply asked you what you think the future of the industry will look like. How will these gigantic yachts actually be able to mix in safety with the general population ?
Anita Warwick
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:12 PM

I believe the vessel in this incident was NERO, not ALFA NERO.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:07 PM

Not sure on the accuracy of this. I am in St. Thomas and no one around here has heard of this, let alone seen either boat at YHG.

I would not be surpised though, you have to be cautious while out and about at night around here, but that is nothing new.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:36 PM

I heard Alfa Nero isn't supposed to be in St. Thomas until next week. There are lots of rumors, but nothing solid.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:36 PM
I have to agree with the previous 2 posts, neither boat has been in Yacht Haven or Crown Bay.  Also, the only article I found pertaining to this alleged incident, was a direct quote of what was written on this forum.  I think some "Publications" need to check their facts before spreading rumours!  By the way, have you heard that St. Maarten was eaten by giant space frogs?  Of the french variety perhaps?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:25 PM
The Yachting Industry and all it's accessories including crew shouldn't take this crime wave to extremes. While I feel terribly sorry for the loss of the Captain in Antigua , frankly, Islanders have been preying upon visitors of all types for years and years. They are not singling you because you work on a yacht.The criminals prey on you for mere pocket change and jewlery because they know you'll be leaving soon after the mugging and won't come back to extract your revenge.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:50 PM

I crew on Nero, and she hasn't been anywhere near St. Thomas  nor have any of the crew have been mugged.  But while we are on the topic, I think a better question would be :   How many well dessed flashy watch and sunglass wearing DRUNK mouthy Western Caucasians have been mugged away from their resort compunds every year since the rise of tourism in any under developed Country?  With the rapid exchange of modern media due to internet and advanced technology, we just have easy access to information about things that always have been going on. 

On another note, I also wittnesed first hand the attack in St. Barths on New Years eve.  There was not a random attack on an innocent male and female crew members.  A local fisherman punched his girlfriend down and when a crewmember standing gangway watch tried to help her, the fisherman returned with friends and a barrage of bottles were flung at his boat. Approx. four vessels in proximity recieved damage in the attack. Luckily, no crew were harmed althought it was extremely volotile and dangerous. A learning experiance for me in human nature, not violence towards yacht crew.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 11:09 PM
I agree that it is probably the reporting of crime on the internet rather than a sudden plunge into a more dangerous world. Let common sense and caution prevail, even when you are stumbling around drunk at 4 am.

I lived in St. Thomas for a season and worked there as a dive instructor in 2001, in my life before yachts. I lived on the 'North Side' in Hull Bay (there is a decent break ther when the swell is right). I remember driving into town one day to drop off my laundry only to find the laundromat closed by the police due to a fatal shooting which took place only minutes before my arrival. I then drove home feeling a bit worried. As I drove home in the rasta racer (my "island car") the steering wheel came off in my hands...oh shit. Luckily I was going up the mountain, slowly.

Cheers,

A.Y. Oughty

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:05 AM
Maybe now is the time to remember that as yacht crew you have health insurance, but NO disability coverage! Our jobs are physically demanding and if left with a serious injury one can be out of work for quite some time. Don't count on your employer to help you through this time of need...think about this now. We're all young, healthy and happy now, let's keep it that way.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:01 PM
Anonymous wrote:

I crew on Nero, and she hasn't been anywhere near St. Thomas  nor have any of the crew have been mugged.  But while we are on the topic, I think a better question would be :   How many well dessed flashy watch and sunglass wearing DRUNK mouthy Western Caucasians have been mugged away from their resort compunds every year since the rise of tourism in any under developed Country?  With the rapid exchange of modern media due to internet and advanced technology, we just have easy access to information about things that always have been going on. 

On another note, I also wittnesed first hand the attack in St. Barths on New Years eve.  There was not a random attack on an innocent male and female crew members.  A local fisherman punched his girlfriend down and when a crewmember standing gangway watch tried to help her, the fisherman returned with friends and a barrage of bottles were flung at his boat. Approx. four vessels in proximity recieved damage in the attack. Luckily, no crew were harmed althought it was extremely volotile and dangerous. A learning experiance for me in human nature, not violence towards yacht crew.

Pascal
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:05 PM

Anonymous wrote:

----

having lived on St Barth for almost 15 years, I know how the local fishermen like their Heineken... some of these guys will drink 12, 15, 18  Heinekens after a fishing tournament or local regatta! this incident was probably nothing more than your typical drunk brawl...

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:27 PM
On behalf of the U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Tourism, we wanted to respond to this posting, regarding an alleged mugging in St. Thomas of the Alfa Nero crew. Officials of the USVI have investigated all possible reports, spanning from police and marine records to those of the hospital, and we have no records of such incident or of the Alfa Nero, or any vessel including the word "Nero" in its name, docking in USVI waters on or around the article posting and implied incident dates of February 3rd.

We thank you all for your concern in this matter.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:42 PM
One thing
you are all crying over spilled milk someone getting mugged it happens every year in the Carib. Now people getting killed that's what you should worry about.

Average 0 out of 5