Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Training - MPT or Blue Water?
i3ond
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 11:36 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to take the STCW95 basic training course.  I currently know almost nothing about yachts or boats in general. So my question is which training agency has the best reputation?  I would be taking the course in Fort Lauderdale.  Also if anyone has had training at these faculties before, could you please give your opinion on the training course.  I will be trying to get a position as a deckhand, so if anyone has any reading material or any training class suggestion that would be great.

Thank You.

cdhezel
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:14 AM

The course is a prerequisite to the industry, most of the courses, unless of course (no pun) it is a Philipino video version will give you the oppertunity to learn the basics, it is what you voluntarily learn from there n that will make you a reputable crew member or not.. good Luck
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:20 PM
Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Heather Harnischfeger
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:05 PM

As a recent graduate of IYT (International Yachtmaster Training) for both STCW95 and MOY 200 ton offshore, I wouldn't even consider any other school.  The training was fantastic, the staff incredibly helpful and the whole atmosphere including other candidates very supportivr......Give IYT a call on 954 779 7764 and tell them that Heather H sent you or check out the website www.yachtmaster.com or feel free to email me at heatherblue007@gmail.com if you need any info....

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:10 AM
Heather Harnischfeger wrote:

As a recent graduate of IYT (International Yachtmaster Training) for both STCW95 and MOY 200 ton offshore, I wouldn't even consider any other school.  The training was fantastic, the staff incredibly helpful and the whole atmosphere including other candidates very supportivr......Give IYT a call on 954 779 7764 and tell them that Heather H sent you or check out the website www.yachtmaster.com or feel free to email me at heatherblue007@gmail.com if you need any info....

Thanks Heather,  I'll be sure to look into there training. 

Miki Brettschneider
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:14 PM

I have studied at MPT for all my courses I strongly advise studying at MPT. The staff are always friendly, very helpful, the courses very complete,all the housing they offer are very nice and within walking distance.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:03 PM
For me MPT instructors are Paramedics/firefighters class takes place both at MPT and Broward fire Accd. Captain. B.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:12 PM
This comment has been removed by the forum moderator.

i3ond
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:29 PM

Well, first of all thanks for all of your help.  Hearing about everyone's experience's, has given me insight into the different training agencies. But I am still not completely sure who to choose.   I was wondering what the anonymous poster meant by;  MPT only wanting  money and lying.  If you are willing to share what happened to you at MPT, that would be great.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for training past the "STCW95 Basic" feel free to post.  I'm sure anything I would learn, i'll be able to apply to my day to day life.   I would be starting out as a deckhand and maybe venture out into steward or engineer training. 

Thank You!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:08 AM
Hey, I will be investigating my training options as well in the upcoming weeks any advice will be appreciated! What really is the best school/crew house? Would getting a tender license in addition to an SCTW be benificial? I also have very little maritime experience!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:59 PM
I work at  International Yacht Training IYT and would suggest that you give us a call or email us at info@yachtmaster.com and I will put you in touch with a few recent graduates who you can ask about the course. 

We have worked tirelessly to make the course as interesting and useful as possible and use serving firefighters, medics and captains in the course delivery.  It is an entry level course and make no mistake, is the very minimum that is sought these days.  That said it is a lot of fun and you will certainly learn something new.

As you can see everyone has their favourite school so ask around enough and you will hear many different opinions.  I would recommend that you consider a rib handling course and a VHF course in addition to the STCW and most companies including ours will offer these in addition.  If you are interested in the hotel services side of things then an interior course would also be useful. 

There are still jobs out there and the commitment you make to the industry by investing in your training will certainly benefit you.  Good Luck!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:58 PM

Sir:  I have taken courses all over the USA.  MPT is by far the best training available for USCG Documents.  They also offer yacht training.  You need STCW 95 for anything you do so I would recommend MPT for those classes and then talk to them about what career track is best for you.

Captain Dan Arkenau

john chippendale
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 1:42 PM

hi there, i also went to IYT for the stcw course and had a really good experience. that was in october and now have done a few more courses with them as well. while i think that any company will give you the training IYT are probably the best!

i3ond
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:48 PM

john chippendale wrote:
hi there, i also went to IYT for the stcw course and had a really good experience. that was in october and now have done a few more courses with them as well. while i think that any company will give you the training IYT are probably the best! 

Thanks for the info Mr. Chippendale. 

Average 0 out of 5