Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
UK registered yachts - crew rights
cap10
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 4:48 PM

I am working on a yacht which isn't covered by the MLC convention, tonnage is too small (90 tons) and we aren't commercial.

The yacht is privately registered in the UK, what legislation is there for crew? Everything I can find is MLC based. 

thanks

Iain Flockhart
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:06 PM

Easy, uk registered vessel normal UK employment law applies. It makes no difference if you are employed on a yacht or not because it's UK registered (as opposed to British registered, bak sure you are ware of the difference). All the info you need can be found on the UK Gov web site, as if you worked in an office all the same rules protection and procedures still apply.  You might also want to have a look at this:  This code of conduct though not mandatory contains all the proper procedures that both parties should follow in any dispute. as you can see it is fully endorsed by Nautilus, UK CoS & RMT.  I always make this document ann appendage to crew contracts so that it constitutes part oft he contract and then each party knows exactly what their responsibilities are.   

http://www.alphamarine.ie/assets/PDFs/Code-of-Conduct-for-the-Merchant-Navy.pdf

Much could of course depend on the specific nature of your issue that you wish to resolve but in general terms just look at it as if you were working for a UK employer in a UK shore based job.  the situation would be very different of your vessel was not flagged in the UK, o from that perspective you are lucky at least.

Hope this helps.

Average 0 out of 5
]