Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Splitting $$
tmorton
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 5:08 PM

How does your crew split tips? Does go to everyone or the captain or a different method? My last boat split it evenly, which I thought was the norm, but the captain and senior crew on my new boat split 75% of the tip and rest of the 25% is shared between junior crew.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:04 PM

I'm a captain of a high profile yacht and yes I make a good salary. I try to keep good crew as long as I can so make it a point to split the tips AMONG the crew, I don't take it for a number of reasons. One is that the crew does the majority of the work. I let this policy be know to the owner, charter guests and crew. Transparency here. I make it a point to be the point person for a tip and I do send pre charter info sheets to all guests.

Chef Mark Lohmann
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:42 PM

Easy one. It's what is agreed to before the charter.  In 20+ years... most boats were even. There would be times the captain overruled and rightfully so. Say someone rolls in drunk at 7 am while on charter. Perhaps it is clear that Junior crew or any crew for that matter really slacked for what ever reason.  Also had some captains who took a cut off the top, were less than honest, or just plain greedy. Hey, it's his policy to take 20% off the top, fine, as long as it's understood and everyone is in agreement. If the guests want to tip you individually, they will let that be known. That, is something else that should be agreed on pre trip. What happens then? Do you still pool? Best to have discussed this BEFORE it happens. Like most things in yachting, what is right one boat may be different on another. As long as everyone is being candid.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 10:43 PM
for me is unfair.  the crew work as a whole.  if the goal is to have good team work the most logical thing to do is to split it even between seniors and juniors.  I work on private so there is no tips but all my friends who work on yachts too they split it even.
chiko_roll
Posted: Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:54 AM

My last boat was even as well. Tips is the whole reason people are there. I have heard of boats paying more to people who have been there longer as well as opposed to new staff. 

Really it should be even. It is not "fine" for a captain and his buddies to be taking more.

If I were you I would resign and make it known to the yacht and management company that that was the reason.

Anyone content with working that hard for their cut of 25% is an idiot. 

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 6, 2018 6:47 AM

As the Captain of an under 50m yacht where we all work our tails off to run a charter, our tips are always split equally as we all work together as a team.

From a personal point, this then gives me extra funds to take the crew to dinner and do things for them as we are a TEAM and the most important part of the operation of our vessel is my crew! Without them, I'm nothing.

It's complete nonsense that crew tips are based on seniority and this is something that I suspect comes from commercial fishing and is most certainly not the way to build a crew that stays together, which is the core of a well run yacht, especially a charter yacht!

Robertmech
Posted: Saturday, January 6, 2018 11:16 AM

The tips should be split equally amongst the crew, this gives junior crew a chance to increase their income.

On one boat I worked on the managers commented on the way to the airport that I had done a great job,

the captain replied that a tip would be appropriate, I was the only crewmember to recieve a tip, I made 

a point of sharing it equally with my crewmates because afterall we are a team.

regards Robert.    Chief Engineer

Caprob_1
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:37 AM

As a 34 year vet I have a little experience here. I need to encourage and premote the people who excel and weed out the non producers, charter or private. Private is slightly easier but rules and consequences prevail in both sectors. I do this, as any trained manager does, with sticks and carrots. I have the additional responsibility for everything, specially your safety that I have to burden, but, instead of taking a larger cut, this can be compensated for by the owner through salary. Tips are obviously the windfall of hard work on charter. I expect ALL my team to be evenly dedicated . With that being said, again I apply the stick and carrots and will counsel, on the spot for any non producers. In the end I like to point out the extraordinary work publically and monitarily with a slightly possitive variation to their tip, an even cut to all else, and a pink slip to the ones who aren't a positive influence aboard. The safety of the crew, guests, and vessel are paramount. Your morale is a close second. Because of this successful policy, I have had  many crew wish to follow me through the years.

Average 0 out of 5
]