Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
GMDSS and yard period
"Michele"
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:14 PM

The 60 meter yacht I am working on will spend the next few months in a marina.

I would like to understand better what the regulation say about the GMDSS.

Should I continue doing the daily, weekly and monthly check...have the SatC printing messages... or can I turn everything off ??

Should I make and entry in the GMDSS Log book and OLB ??

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

"Michele"
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 1:33 PM

71 person read this post at the moment  ... none of them is an Officer that spent a winter in a Marina ??sad
Henning_1
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 5:36 PM

The real answer is nobody cares and there is no way to police or enforce any of this beyond survey and training requirements. I don’t know anyone who leaves the gear on for extended stays in port, most people leave half of it off at sea as well to conserve paper.

Think about what GMDSS is for and use common sense. If you are not going to be in a position to provide assistance then there is no cause for you to run the equipment.

Zach Scholz
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 9:38 PM

SOLAS Chapter 4 part C in regards to monitoring clearly states All vessels WHILE AT SEA. You are in a shipyard not at sea so there is no requirement to monitor. You should note your position day and time in your GMDSS log and that equipment has been turned off and no radio watch held while in yard period. Then start it back up when preparing to depart yard and do all your checks at that time.
"Michele"
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 10:08 PM

Henning, thank you for your reply !

I am agree with you but will the PSC officer agree with Us ?? Will use common sense or will ask me "what is the need to listen on HF frequency ?? you will probably not able to provide immediate assistance neither"

Most import what are you (and you too that are reading) doing ??

You just don't fill the Radio Log book ? Do make an entry on it saying your GMDSS was turned off ?? Do you fake the tests ??

learning from your experience!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 1:53 PM

Hello Michele

When you enter the port and you plan on being there for sometime.

I would create an entry in the GMDSS Log -

'Station Closed' Date, Time, Signature. Turn off VHF and MF / HF

You are not monitoring the station and you are unable to be of assistance so no need to monitor.

I would maintain Weekly and Monthly checks - and remember entries for monthly equipment - EPIRB; SARTS; AIS etc etc If a fault develops with any of the equipment you want to find this out before hand not when you planning to leave the port!

Maintain SSAS tests every 3 months.

You are able to select what messages you want printed on the SAT-C printer so whilst in port I would do this to minimise paper waste. Remember to turn back on when making preparations to leave again!

You cannot turn off the SAT-C equipment without notifying flag - Certain equipment is linked (SSAS) and the LRIT reports are generated through one of the SAT-C terminals. If you know which then you could safely turn off the other. You could be fined by Flag for turning off LRIT equipment without notifying first.

When you are making preparations to depart - 'Station Open' Date, Time, Signature

Power up the VHF's and MF / HF receiver. Log Daily checks after completion.

Weekly and monthly would be upto date.

Turn on SAT - C and select messages to direct to printer / same for Navtex - select areas relevant to passage.
Update AIS

Average 0 out of 5
]