Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
American flag boats: How do you comply with time and attendance regs?
Yachtie123
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:55 AM

Hi American flag boats,

So under the FLSA, businesses are required to keep accurate records of employee work hours. Do you have a time keeping method you use?

William55
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Yes, it's very simple. As yacht crew, that includes

Captains, Mates, Chefs, Engineers, Stews, Deck,

from the time we are hired, we are on call, or on 

job, if traveling, 24 hours a day. So when you're 

doing your salary requirements, divide your 

salary by 365 days a year, by 24 hours a dayand 

that's what you make an hour. Example below,

Based on a Captains salary on a 100-120 ft Yacht

$100,000.00 divided by 365 days = 274.00 daily

$274.00 divided by 24 hours = $11.41 per hour

Do you think we are being over paid ???????

Ken Bracewell
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 11:17 PM

If you read the Fair Labor Standards Act a bit more closely, you'll learn that Mariners (and Migrant Farm Workers, for that matter) are exempted from this requirement.
Yachtie123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:59 AM

Thanks, Ken.

I wasn't aware of that but I'll look into it.

Yachtie123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:24 AM

So I checked.

It turns out that a "persona employed as a seaman" shall be exempt from the FLSA overtime regulation. 

BUT

An employee shall only be considered a seaman while performing tasks that aid the operation of the vessel as a means of transportation. Repairs between navigational seasons are not considered as such (neither are washdowns, detailing, etc.) and during that time the employee will not be considered as employed as a seaman. With regards to interior crew there is even a bigger question of whether they are employed as a seaman at all (only with regards to FLSA, of course). Going just by the article I link to below, interior crew would not be considered to be employed as a seaman and would be under overtime regulations even while the boat is in transit. 

This is my reference: https://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA/2006/2006_11_30_44_FLSA.htm

Ken Bracewell
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:19 AM

Yachtie123 wrote:

So I checked.

It turns out that a "persona employed as a seaman" shall be exempt from the FLSA overtime regulation. 

BUT 

An employee shall only be considered a seaman while performing tasks that aid the operation of the vessel as a means of transportation. Repairs between navigational seasons are not considered as such (neither are washdowns, detailing, etc.) and during that time the employee will not be considered as employed as a seaman. With regards to interior crew there is even a bigger question of whether they are employed as a seaman at all (only with regards to FLSA, of course). Going just by the article I link to below, interior crew would not be considered to be employed as a seaman and would be under overtime regulations even while the boat is in transit. 

This is my reference: https://www.dol.gov/whd/opinion/FLSA/2006/2006_11_30_44_FLSA.htm

I suppose you could hire a lawyer to look into it if you have a reason to be concerned. I once took command of a Cayman flagged yacht, owned by a US Corporation. Prior to my arrival this issue came up, so a time clock was installed in the crew mess.
I found the whole thing to be ridiculous, so I took the time to read the FLSA and sent my opinion to Corporate Counsel for a final ruling. They decided that it was defensible and the clock was removed.
That being said, I've never had an issue in 20 years.

Average 4.5 out of 5