Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice, Master Unlimited, green to Yacht industry
Elvar
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:20 PM

Hi

Looking for advice

I am 34 year old male from Iceland, I have been working at sea for at least 12 years on a trawler freezer in North Atlantic. I am just finishing STCW 11/2 (a) Master Unlimited. So I have a lot of experience working at sea, good education and PADI OWD Instructor, but I am green to Yachting world.

On graduation I will set all my focus to get a job on a yacht. What do you guys think of my possibilities on work and first position ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated 

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:32 PM

Good luck Elvar for your graduation and congratulations on 12 years of sea service. Not many in the yachting industry can claim that and even fewer have a Masters Unlimited.

It will stand you in good stead in the yachting industry.  But before you can climb the ladder in the yachting industry you will need to learn the "yachting ropes".  There are many, many things in yachting that those in the commercial world know absolutely nothing about (I know, I came from there). 

Maintaining super quality paint work and repairing it; keeping teak decks up to scratch; dealing with guests; guest itineries;  budgets, cruising grounds; etc; etc; etc......     Make no mistake, running a super yacht is a big task that requires experience, leadership, diplomacy, knowledge and above all tact.

You will need to add these skills to those you already have, and the only way you can do this is start at the beginning. No one is going to give you a $100 million dollar yacht until they trust you and you have a proven track record.

So start building that track record. Find a job as a deck hand on a decent sized boat and learn the ropes as to how the yachting industry works. Then in due course you will rise to the top like cream and from there the best jobs will appear.

In the end, it's not what you know, but who you know ... and you will never get to meet these people until they know what you know.

Good luck Elvar.

Elvar
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:04 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful for me. I then will apply for all deckhands jobs on decent yacht and work my way up from there.

Average 3 out of 5