Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
B1/B2 Visas - Any Advice?
Laura
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:15 PM

I am wanting some advice with regards to B1/B2 visa - does anyone know the best (eg.. cheapest, fastest and of course easiest) place to get these processed at the moment?

I am looking for an entry level stewardess postion.  I realise that my chances of getting offered a position would be greatly increased if I had my B1/B2 visa so I am prepared to fly out of USA to get it. 

I have phoned Bahamas US Embassy and the soonest I could get an appointment was for December! 

I was also told that Barbados is a good option - however to arrange an appointment time I would need to complete the visa form and I would like to find out a little more information before doing this.

What was other peoples experience when they applied?

ANY help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura 

Jacqueline Knorr
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:37 AM

Hi Laura, I have applied for my one online at the American Embassy in Trinidad and went there 3 days later to pick it up. Simply follow the steps on their website and you should get it easily without making an appointment. By applying on the site you automatically made an appointment. When you are in Trinidad you just have to go to a post office where you pay 100 Dollar for that visa. You will get a ticket what you have to show at the Embassy. Don't forget to print out your application and what else you have to fill out on the website. You will have to show them at the entrance of the Embassy in order to get in without having to stand outside with at least 50 other people. Inside you go to the counter in the left corner. There you register. And then you just have to wait until they call your name. At the next counter you give the person your paper work, passport and picture. That's it. And in the afternoon you go back and pick up your passport with your new visa. Good luck. I hope it helped. Jacqueline PS: One more think. It would help if you could get a letter from a boat what states you work on it. That it's even easier to get the visa.
Laura
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:31 AM

Thanks so much for the advice Jacqueline,  we are trying hard to get the letter to make our application as fail proof as possible.  Can you let me know how long ago you applied and got your B1/B2 so I know how current your information is.

We are going to complete our form online and then schedule an appointment - hopefully we manage to get a letter prior to the appointment otherwise we will try without. 

Thanks again for you reply... and if there is anyone else out there with other information I would love to hear from you.

Laura

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2008 3:32 PM
So, let's get this right... you are here in the United States on a visitor visa and you're WORKING? Isn't that, like, illegal? Here's a concept. Go back to your country of origin and apply for the B1/B2 thru the Embassy there.
Laura
Posted: Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:08 PM

No, my apologies if my posts were not clear - I am not working.  I am researching the industry and training so that I can find a position in the near future.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, October 4, 2008 3:21 PM
Hook up with an American and go all they way to greencard land
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:46 AM
Here is some information for applying for your B1/B2 visa in Barbados. Reasons for travelling - I have heard of people using the following reasons. - Its impossible to get into the yachting industry without it (then they prove it by providing letters from agencies stating this) - Travel (providing onward tickets and itineraries for proof) - To work onboard a yacht (with a captains letter as proof) Here is the process. Complete the online DS 156 form visa Barbados US Embassy website. Once you have submitted it you will be able to make an appointment time. Be sure to print this form off and save it to your computer so that you do not lose it. Schedule your appointment time online and make sure you print off or write down you confirmation number. Try and schedule your appointment for a Monday so that you have plenty of working days to get it processed and returned to you. We interviewed on a Monday and our visas were returned on the Wednesday morning. If you want to try and get an appointment sooner you will need to check the website regularly for cancellations. These are usually processed between 8 - 8.30 am and 4.30 - 5 pm. However they are sometimes processed at other times. You should check as often as possible - I checked at least 3 times a day. On the day of your interview you can arrive at any time during that day - your appointment time means nothing so you are best to arrive as early as possible. First interviews are at 8am however by 7.30am there are already at least 50 people waiting outside the embassy – so go EARLY! Once you have passed through security you are issued with an interview number – this number will be called when the cashier is available you pay your $131 USD to the cashier and give them your DS156 forms, passport and for males the DS157 form. Your number is called again when an interviewing officer is available – the interview is conducted through security glass and over a counter. These interviews are not long so you need to be organized and ready to provide your supporting information if appropriate. I would estimate they have at least 150-200 interviews a day. The officer is looking for proof that you are not trying to live and work in the USA. They will basically assume that you will unless you prove otherwise. If you are successful at this stage the officer will give you a pink slip stating that pending further security checks your application as been approved. You need to show this to the people at the DHL counter in the same room and provide them with the address to deliver your passport to. Remember to have this address handy and ensure it is accurate. We discovered later that the guesthouse we were staying at did not have its name outside nor did it have a street number so we tracked the parcel and kept watch for the DHL van on the morning it was delivered. As I mentioned above we interviewed on the Monday and our passports were returned on the Wednesday. When entering the US and passing through Immigration ensure you complete the white immigration form (even if you are from a visa waiver country). Treat this as another interview – however you are not expected to provide supporting documents unless requested. With both the interview at the embassy and when speaking to the immigration officer – be relaxed and friendly and don’t dress like you are a backpacker – you should look smart and presentable. This is all just general information about the process and other info I have heard through the grapevine. It is not advice by any means - however it gives you a better understanding of the process and I hope it is helpful. Goodluck and remember to be organised.
Dreaman
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:38 AM

Dear Mates, please let me know: do the Yachting Agencies realy work as I am more than a year subscriber on more than 20 web based yacht agencies, yet having the highest Certification-Master unlimited,MCA Chief Officer CeC unlimited, all necessary STCW Certs, Ship Security Officer Cert, PADI Open Water Diver Cert, Electronic Charts Cert, GMDSS Cert-GOC and 2-3 motor Yachts experience as Chief Officer ... and yet I HAVE NO ONE serious offer from any of them ??? Yet I am still young and in perfect health, with proven/certified English knowledge(MARLINS 98%). Any body has a clue about that ?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:05 AM
Hope you have a job now with all those qualifications, plus, you are HOT!

Average 2 out of 5