Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Books for Yachties
Anita Warwick
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:43 AM

I recommend THE INSIDER'S GUIDE TO BECOMING A YACHT STEWARDESS  by Juile Perry, for new (and experienced) stewards/stewardesses - all newbie crew.   A well written, humourous guide to what it's all about!

Check out Julie's site   www.workonayacht.com    

Julie and yacht photographer Suki were seriously injured on New Year's Eve by a hit-and-run driver whilst being taken home in a pedicab.   To date no one has come forward with any information about the driver or car.  Should you know anything at all that might help these girls, please contact Julie through her website.

Jolea
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:01 AM

I actually just bought that on Amazon! It should be waiting for me at home! Julie is great! I have been "myspace friends" with her for over a year or so, always so nice about answering questions and helping out in any way. Great chick! Buy the book!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:31 PM

I've read Julie's book! It's Five Star! I highly suggest it as well for any newbie. It helped me confirm that this was the industry I wanted for my future. I'm also "myspace friends" with her, she is very encouraging.

volochef
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:16 PM

Am I allowed to chime in and put my book into the arena? It's called Mediterranean Summer. It takes place on a private Italian sailing yacht I worked on. I was the chef on board. In the story, I offer a coming-of-age experience at the stove, with the crew, living and working at sea, and most important, convincing the owners they made the right hire. Along the way, a few discoveries. It's available all over in the US, all Amazon sites, and e-book versions. I invite you to check out the companion web site, www.mediterraneansummer.com.

I am happy to announce it has just gone into a fourth print, no doubt helped by the New York Times saying "an escapist story that comes with recipes and practically generates its own sea breeze."

BTW- Names have been changed to protect the (not so) innocent!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:25 PM

If you liked the Linda Greenlaw interview on Dockwalk.com, you should read her book called All Fishermen are Liars. There are some fantastic sea stories, my favorite was the one about the crew of a fishing boat that sinks in the middle of a hurricane near St. Thomas. It's a great boat book because it's all short stories that you can easily read in about a half hour.

Anita Warwick
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 2:12 AM

and if you're in the cone - hurricane cone that is,  during the season, here's a must have for the boat's library!

THE SHIP AND THE STORM by Jim Carrier. Jim wasn't actually there as  .... well, I shouldn't say any more... This is a great 'recount' of the harrowing tale of the 242' steel hulled Windjammer, Fantome  caught in the western Carribean during the  1998 tropical storm Mitch .   Sleep tight whilst the gentle waves lull you to sleep....

Jolea
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 9:03 PM

One of my favorite books is called "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" by Ann Vanderhoof. It's a great account of a husband and wife on a cruising trip from the NE US through the caribbean, there are even local recipes Ann picked up along the way from people she met. It's a great true story.
volochef
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2008 9:30 PM

Embarrassment of Mangoes... same editor as mine!

Eryn
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:47 PM

A fun book to read - Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. All about Julie Powell's attempt to revitalize her life by cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I" in a span of 365 days. Quirky and fun, and for those who love to cook a must read.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2008 8:16 AM
I just finished reading Julie Perrys stewardess book, it has so much helpful information. As a newbie I found this book invaluable as to the where, when, what ,how and who of getting started in the yachting industry.
I have now booked my flight to Fort Lauderdale, acquired my b1/b2 visa and am just about to commence my stcw and stew courses here in Sydney,Australia. I can't wait to begin my adventure!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:46 PM

My top sailing books:

A great chick lit book based on the America's Cup with some gooey lovey duvvy bits has to be "sea fever" by Sarah Mason. If you love sailing and trashy novels then this is for you!!

Non-fiction and great for advice are "working on yachts and superyachts" by Jennifer Errico - great guide to the industry

"what every new yacht stewardess should know" has some great tips.

"Reeds superyacht manual" has all the STCW stuff in and loads of practical info.

All available from amazon

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:42 PM
To learn about the life of a crew try Richard Henry Dana Jr, Two years before the mast...
or  Farley Mowat, Grey seas under....
or  Farley Mowat, Ordeal by Ice, Search for the Northwest Passage... and understand how tough British seaman were.
Might as well learn a few sea stories...try Joseph E Garland, Howard Blackburn the Lone voyager.  One of the greatest  American sea adventures ever, when you stop by Gloucester and have a beer in his pub you will know.

sailpamc
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 5:21 PM

I highly recommend this exciting book - The Unsinkable Spirit by Boris & Shirley King.  The second book in the series will be coming out soon. 

Think now is not the time to follow your heart’s calling?  Well, don’t be too quick to stuff your fantasies in the bilge until you meet Captain Boris and Shirley King, two ordinary people who challenged all conventional beliefs that dreams were just that … dreams.

Immigrating to North America from the communist block at 17 years old, with just $30 in his pocket and two words of English, Boris quickly realizes that opportunities are limitless and his new homeland is the place where the freedom to follow your dreams is reality.

When he meets Shirley, a prairie girl from Alberta, Boris knows he has found his soul-mate, their dreams converge and the adventure that is their life begins.  At the age of 24, with their 8 month old baby boy, they sell everything and leave their family and careers, to embark on a sailing expedition retracing the footsteps of Captain Cook.

Boris and Shirley have written their tale of life, love and adventure in the book series The Unsinkable Spirit.  The first episode; In Search of Love, Adventure & Riches, is an inspiring story of how ordinary people can achieve extraordinary things and change the course of their destiny by just getting out there and trying new things.  If we just open our minds and eyes to new opportunities, we are capable of accomplishing things we never thought possible.

Is it really true?  Do I dare hope that my dreams can finally be realized?  You bet you can!  Take the first step and let The Unsinkable Spirit: In Search of Love, Adventure & Riches show you that it is never too late to start on your way to new success regardless how young or old you are or whatever your dream may be.  It is never, never, never too late to discover and unleash a new greatness in you.  Come, let’s set off on our voyage of discovery with the Kings.

To read the first, thrilling chapter and obtain your copy of In Search of Love, Adventure & Riches, by Boris and Shirley King go to: www.theunsinkablespirit.com .

kapt_mark
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:36 PM

A couple of books I have enjoyed were, 'A Voyage for Madmen' an account of the first non stop single handed round the world sailing race and, '1421, the year China discovered the world' a book describing China's pioneering circumnavigations of the globe and the charts which they made which eventually were used by the likes of Colombus and Magellan.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:48 PM

For the ultimate read... check out "The Master Mariner" by Nicholas Monsarrat.

You will have to track it down on the internet and only be able to buy a used paperback, but well worth the effort.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:32 PM
A Fringe of Leaves by Patrick White.

Fantastic historical (fact based) novel, beautifully written. Allegorical account of a journey to Australia in the 19th Century. Wrecks, convict experience, encounters with Aborigines and the start of a mercantile economy to sustain the colony all make this a book worth reading. A good size as well - it'll keep you enthralled for a good few weeks. Definately one for real literature fans.
victoriaallman
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 5:58 PM

The Motion of the Ocean. Another great read is Janna C Esarey, The Motion of the Ocean about a couple who honeymoon in a 30-year old sailboat and set out across the ocean. You can order it at: http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Ocean-Average-Lovers-Meaning/dp/1416589082/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240592056&sr=8-1 It was just featured in Publishers Weekly as a favorite summer read.
WordNerd
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:11 PM

Victoria Allman, a “bloggist” and frequent contributor to DW.com (see above) has just published a book herself that is well worth checking out. Called Sea Fare: A Chef’s Journey Across the Ocean, it’s a memoir of her adventures as a chef on five different yachts – and includes exotic and delicious recipes from 30 different ports she visited in her travels.

Chef Victoria, who did her culinary training at the Stratford Chef School and the Culinary Institute of America, has been yachting for more than a decade. You may have worked with her on Pari, Blue Moon, or Pangaea (in the South Pacific), all of which are featured in Sea Fare.

If you’re in Fort Lauderdale, you can find Sea Fare at the wonderful Bluewater Books store. It’s also available on Amazon.com or through the publisher, www.norlightspress.com. You can link to it through Chef Victoria’s Web site, www.victoriaallman.com. Sea Fare only costs $12.95.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:42 PM

Really useful guide "Super Yachting: The Beginners Guide" by Ben Proctor. Perfect  for beginners considering yachting as a career, full of essential information - a must for anyone considering entering yachting: Just published in February 2013 and full of great advice. Worth downloading, available on Amazon and Smashwords. Links below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335659&sr=8-1  

http://www.amazon.com/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335756&sr=8-1&keywords=super+yachting  

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/287672  

Average 5 out of 5