Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Musky smell and little air.
727PR
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:51 PM

Dear Mr. Matthew,

Why is my vessel smelling musky and has little to no air blowing. I don't run my A/C on a regular basis, could this be the issue? What should I do about it? Plese help me!!!!!!!!!  

80 footer.

MMAC
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:53 PM

80 Footer,

The reason your vessel is smelling musky is because you are not running your air conditioner on a regular basis.  The air conditioner is not only to make the room a suitable temperature for creature comfort, but it also removes humidity from the vessel.

Mold and mildew have a better chance of survival in warm humid conditions and along with that comes foul odors. The reason for little air flow is probably due to your return air filters not being serviced.

A dirty air filter can restrict air movement from passing across the coils of the air handler.  Also with a derated amount of air across the coil the air handler cannot cool the room sufficiently or remove humidity.

Service or change the air filters and leave the system running continuously for a week and see if there is a difference.

Matthew
info@matthewsmarineac.com

727PR
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:53 PM

Thanks so much!  We had the filters replaced and what an improvement!! Also I will leave the A/C running on a regular basis, so this does not happen again.
ESSOBEA12
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 1:59 AM

I recently added carbon filters in front of the reg filters to eliminate the mild odor. Will this put to much strain on the handler?
junior
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 11:37 AM

Gee...leave the AC running on a regular basis and your electric bill will soar, the boat manager will cut your salary and the arctic ice pack will melt. We live in modern times, no need to be wasteful and destructive on a regular basis. . A better way to keep the boat smelling nice is to clean , replace the filters , clean blowers and clean the ducting. Once clean and smelling fresh , refrain from needlessly running the AC and recontaminating the filters and ducting
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 2:23 PM

[Comment deleted by moderator]

Josh Cunningham
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:31 PM

The Silent Scourge, what a great reference for this dank smell which often time permeates the interior fabrics of a vessel for good. Simple upkeep and routine maintenance can prevent this. Having an easily accessble air handler diagram/ map is helpful for finding the most remote air handler filter, often tucked under and behind furniture and walls, many times crew don't even know where they all are.  Nice post- josh w/ freedomyachtmanagement.com

Average 2.5 out of 5