Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Pay Recovery
Cindy Smith
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 3:00 PM

A friend worked for 3 months and unfortunately did not pay attention to the bank account.  He left the boat and then discovered that he had not been paid.  What actions can he take to recover his pay?
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2008 3:34 PM

Hi Cindy

Was your friend working under a written contract? If not, making any recovery will be difficult, though not impossible. Anything other than day-work, paid in cash at the end of that day, should be on the basis of a written employment contract.

Without a contract, or any payment having been made at all, there is scope for much argument about not if, but how much, your friend should have been paid. Arguments mean legal costs, and legal costs are not always recoverable - even if you win.

It may be possible to have the yacht your friend worked on arrested, but often local jurisdictions require security in the form of a deposit or bank guarantee.

Assuming the employer was not the beneficial owner, has he or she actually approached the owner directly in an attempt to settle the matter directly?

Kind regards

Benjamin Maltby
Director
MatrixLloyd

info@indianrivercruises.com
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:13 AM

I recently helped with the delivery of the S/V Wonderful From St Maartin to Gib, I was forced off the boat in the Azores after I let the captain who was on vacation know that the temp captain hired for the delivery and provided by Reliance Yachts was abusing drugs and alcohol, and put the boat and crew in grave danger. This was not a paid position but I was promissed compensation for my airfare, and I am still waiting for riembursement. I had to purchace my airfare/accomidations on the spot from a wifi cafe in San Miguel. I have only been able to stay intouch by email's that are now going unawnsered. The Boat had just transitioned to a new owner just a day before the delivery began and I am sure He doesn't know what happened. The vacationing capt encuraged me to leave the boat for my safty and promissed to pay my airfare, and I am sure he didn't want the owners to know the whole story. How do I find out who the real owner of this boat is so I can contact them and try to get help. Ragards Mark
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:35 AM

Hi Mark The owner is a matter of public record. You need to get in touch with the yacht's registry, but how helpful they will be is another matter. However, the owner is usually just an owning company. You need to discuss with the beneficial owner first of all. This information is not normally available readily, so you'll have ask one of the remaining crewmembers if you're still in touch. Benjamin Maltby MatrixLloyd

Average 5 out of 5