Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What job position should i go for? Please Help!
MarkB
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:11 PM

Im just about to start my Comercial Offshore Yachtmaster (Power) ticket and will be fully qualified by the middle of December.

I have been working on the Scottish Highlander as head chef and cruise manager since march doing 5 star holiday charters up and down the Caledoninan Canal in Scotland.

Im really looking for some advice on what job possitions i should be applying for and what im likley to be sucessfull in with my experience!

Previous to working on the Scottish Highlander, i have a lots of hospitality managment and training experience and a pretty good business background!

Am i off the mark in thinking about a 1st Mate possition?

Appreciate anyones comments!

Mark

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:47 PM

Mark

This is Amy from MPT in Fort Lauderdale. It sounds like your background in hospitality is perfectly suited for the yachting industry. Kudos on your Yachtmaster certification, that is a very valuable ticket to have. Your business background is an asset as well especially on large yachts with purser type positions, charter yachts and also the management of budgeting, etc on private yachts. Determining which direction to go in will be more of a personal decision in my opinion because you have such a versatile experience and training history.

The first mate position will depend on the size of the vessel you are aspiring to in the near future. If it is a large yacht, over 500 tons, that position will typically require an MCA or equivalent 3000 ton Officer of the Watch or Chief Mate Certificate of Competency. You can get an MCA Code vessel CoC with your commercial yachtmaster, GMDSS, and an oral exam that will give you authority as OOW on yachts up to 500 tons as well as Master of any type of vessel up to 200 tons. This is a valuable thing to have. Your yachtmaster standing alone is perfectly fine for most of the boats you would apply to as well.

Long story short, you have been a head chef which is a fantastic job itself, so your passion should determine your selection. If you enjoy standing navigation watches and working in the deck department more than anything else, then pursue that direction. Many people would only wish they had the versatility you have to choose their future.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you stay in the industry a long time. 

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2008 9:27 PM

Amy

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, its been a fantastic help. Much appreciated! Im going to look into completing the MCA Master 200gt / Officer Of The Watch (Yacht) 500gt certificate straight after my offshore yachtmaster course.

Can you recommend any good angencys that i should sign up with in persuit of my first possition?

Thanks again,

Mark

Gill
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:58 AM

Hi Mark,

Great to read your post, and wondering how you are getting on, a few months later?

I am originally from Glasgow, although now living in Gibraltar, after having worked on cruise ships for the past three years.  I am now trying to make the move into yachts, but finding it very difficult to get into, or even to get a response.

Perhaps you, or anyone, could point me in the right direction?

Gill

Average 0 out of 5