Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Poll Question: What first attracted you to the yacht industry?
Dockwalk.com Editor
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 6:39 PM

This question comes up often in DOCKWALK.com interviews, so I offer this to all registered members:

What first attracted you to the yachting industry?

Share your personal stories in this forum.

Thanks,
Matt

Izzy
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 2:57 PM

Friends helped lead me to a career in the yacht industry. My best friend Carmen has an older sister who had worked on a yacht and she helped introduce us to people who could help us find jobs near Mallorca. My career goal is to be a premiere chef but I am a free spirit and an assistant chef position on a yacht can give me the training I need and the fun lifestyle I seek. Who doesn't like fun and adventure? I can learn a lot about world cuisines and discover new ingredients each time we get provisions and prepare them for our owners and guests.

Lauren
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 3:20 PM

I sort of fell into the industry by default. At 13, my parents bought a 34-foot sail boat and we left South Africa. I learned to sail that way and spent most of my teen years in SXM living on board the boat in a marina. I made the leap to crew when I was 18 after deciding to take the year off before university to earn some money. After college and grad school, I made my way back to Florida and then ultimately found Dockwalk.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:38 PM

As a youngster, I had always grown up around the sea - my father was a boat enthusiast and had little difficulty getting me involved in yachting and the sea, at the the age of 14 I was a qualified scuba diver and was working as a deckhand onboard 45ft privately owned vessel only to be lured away by the large salaries offered by the corporate institutions in the city of London.

Then, as a 27 year old, I should have been enjoying my lifes situation - earning over £100k a year and working for the worlds largest consulting firm - yet I was completely miserable in my job.

What attracted me to the yachting industry was the familiarity that I had with it from a young age - you could say I was getting back to my roots.

I was asked recently in an interview: "You left £100k a year job to come and working as a deckhand in the yachting industry?" - to which I replied, "I know it unusual, but the yachting industry is a passion of mine, and unlike some deckhands - the job isn't only about the money, its the lifestyle which you simply cannot get from most land based jobs."

So what did I learn from all this?

If you do anything for money or the perceived status it will give you - it won't give you the fulfillment you seek and deserve.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:52 AM
Back in 1977 it was one of several ways to make extra money.  After a few summer weekends out on Montauk Point docked at the yacht club, fishing for Big Eye tuna in the canyons, and then spending my first full winter at North Palm Beach Marina sailfishing, I was hooked.  My transition from sport fishing to yachting came in 1988 at Hatteras of Lauderdale with Herb Postma at the helm of the company.  Not too many people know this, but Herb made the industry what it is today and in addition, helped to form my desire to be connected to the water into a career. 
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:36 AM

Regarding previous post, I freelanced for Herb Postma on his show Westships back in the day, nice family. Curious, how did he help shape the industry?

Me, I got into the industry when I hitchhiked a ride on a sailboat after running out of money backpacking. What hooked me was the freedom a boat offers, that and the tranquility of a midnight shift at the helm, watching moonbeams dance on the water. Remember that feeling?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:36 PM
I guess what got me interested in the yachting industry was buying the yacht magazines each time reading every article with deep interest. Then when I went to study at Maritime Professional training and saw these beautifully maintained yachts I fell in love with the idea of working on these amazing works of art.
Anita Warwick
Posted: Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:25 PM

On Walkabout and a Free spirit!

I was on a year's leave from the Tasmanian Education Department - taking a break from moulding young minds!  Travelling alone I left Switzerland by train and visited Monaco (inspired by the movie Condorman where Michael Crawford drove a Rolls into the pool there.)  The English speaking people I met worked on yachts - Hmmnnn...

One day walking along the dock in Antibes where I had been visiting friends, someone called out ( in French accent)... We are going to de Caribbean - do you want to come???!!!   It was a 98' ketch (so I learnt later.)  I'd never been sailing in my life but... yeah, Caribbean, that sounds good!  A few days later I turned up in the Marquis of Bristol's red Corniche (it's good to have friends) and off we went - Terrible trip, knocked down, lost sails, was eyeing the life raft at one stage. But we made it to Antigua and that was the first of my 3 trans-Atlantics (time and rum heals) and many years of crewing followed.

Average 0 out of 5