Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Health insurance while in the US?
Stew Rose
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:24 PM

Hi,

I'm an Australian, currently working on a yacht based in Fort Lauderdale. I have a lot of downtime and have been taking trips around Florida on the weekends. So I'm wondering, what would happen if I got hurt while I was off the boat. Would the boat's insurance cover me? Do I need my own insurance? Apparantly it's really expensive to get treated in the US hospital - I've heard horror stories.

Thanks,

Rose

MHG Mark B
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:47 PM

Hello Rose,

It is questionable at best if the boat insurance would cover you in this scenario and I would caution you against believing that it might.  Crew should have either their own insurance, or a health plan which is sponsored by your vessel Owner in order to have peace of mind that you have coverage in place when you become ill or have an accident.  The US is the most expensive place in the world to recieve health care, and it is not uncommon for basic care to cost thousands of dollars.  But no matter where you travel, it is best to have insurance instead of risking your financial future.

Mark

Average 0 out of 5