Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
UPGRADE TO C9 CAT GENERATORS
gavfox
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:45 PM

THINKING OF UPGRADING THE CURRENT 3306 GEN'S TO THE NEW MARK 5 C9 CATS. HAVE HEARD MIXED REPORTS ON THE C9'S.ONE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE INTERCOOLERS HAVING TO BE PULLED EVERY 1000HOURS ON THE OLDER MODELS.

ANYBODY HAVING ANY INPUT ON THE SUBJECT WOULD BE GOOD!

CHEERS

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:50 AM

with  AC  compressors  SW coils ....we regularly  clean them out by recirc.   chemical    (such as BARNACLE BUSTER ) via portable pump.

So i have set up  engines such as generators  where i can  do the same thing with the sea water coolers   engine AND  transmission coolers.

I also fit  sight  glasses  on the  overboards  on AC units as they run  24/7.

Get a clear plastic   fresh water pump  filter.      remove the strainer and use that as a sight glass to monitor water flow  visually

all it takes is a couple  of T   s  and valves fitted with hose barbs.

Can do same with any seawater  heat exhanger

Scotty

st Maarten

tombrown1946@hotmail.com

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 8:52 PM
    I installed 3 new C9 gensets aboard a yacht a couple of years ago and subsequantly suggested to Caterpillar that they changed the designation to K9.  There failures are too nummerous to mention and the service from Caterpillar was at its very best perfectly ordinary.

I would be happy to put you in touch with the chief engineer who still works aboard the yacht and knows the history.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:39 PM
Every boat I know with C9's as generators has had troubles can think of 5 straight away off hand. The heui pumps fail on them, when this occurs you get frequency drop off as the load ramps up. The aftercoolers failing was a corrosion problem supposedly fixed by changing aftercooler manufacturers. I'd steer clear personally, they seem to be nothing but trouble. Unfortunately nothing else that size can deliver that power.
Robertmech
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:34 PM

I worked relief on a boat that had 3 new 6 cylinder CAT,s I am not sure wether they were C9,s but one serious problem we found was that the oil lines that rerouted the oil to a filter on the other side of the engine( so that all the
filters are on one side of the engine to form a service side) ran past the turbo charger and air cleaner, there was another
flexible steel wire encased line that abraded on the oil line and a HP fuel line at the back of the cylinder head,
this posed a serious fire risk, one of the other engineers was close by when the oil line rubbed  through and
pinholed, he fortunately shut the generator down before it caught fire, (the generator engine could also run overspeed
out of control with hot oil spraying on to the air filter)
We checked all three generators and found the same design fault, we had to replace all 3 fuel lines and one of the oil lines and modify the brackets  and routing of the lines and fit some rubber protection..
I would not be surprised if there were not not a number of fires involving these particular generators.
The old 3306 Cat,s are reliable and easily rebuilt.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:12 AM
Even a cat engineer told me that the C9's are pretty much the black sheep of the family. Too many problems. As mentioned with the service above i think it depends where you are bringing the engineers in from. This italian built yacht had the engines set up by the local service provider CGT but when we had a guy from the dutch PON Power provider he had to rewire the whole thing. Just saying that service quality is dependant on location and we get the dutch guys out now no matter where we are. Even if we do step on some toes
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:32 AM
Speaking of generators, can anybody point out the regulations of knowingly going to see with only 1 generator in an MCA & world wide application? 

Average 4 out of 5