Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Why do employed crew treat unemployed crew as sh*t??
Martini
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:36 PM

Don't tell me it didn't happen to you to be dockwalking looking for daywork or handing out your CV only to see those guys looking at you as if you was worth nothing only because they have a job and you don't. Very often you will give them your cv, walk away and turn your head for a second only to see them looking at each other almost laughing at you. Waste of paper and ink, and your time obviously. In many cases, you, the unemployed person, are way more qualified than those green deckhands who neglects you thinking they are big deal and they will never be unemployed again. It is sad. Let alone any talking about the change on their behaviour if by any chance you become their mate or captain. Really poor souls. That's the industry in which we are involved. But I think it probably is the same story in any office, factory, etc. I have seen deckhands under my command, dumping cv from dockwalkers, straight to the garbage bin. I picked up the cv's, store them in the bridge and told the deckhands that probably one of those unemployed guys/girls will be their replacement anytime and they should hope those guys don't throw their cv's away when eventually they are unemployed. Enough of my rant. What are your views or experiences on the subject?? And yes, I'm currently unemployed. But I have peace of mind that I always treated dockwalkers and potential crew with respect.
Bianca
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:08 AM

That's very nice! I'm also unemployed but also n newbie. I just hope for the best and will do every thing I can and be positive!!! Good Luck with the Med season hope all goes well!!!! Maybe I'll see you there. Piece!
junior
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:46 AM

Unemployment causes you to lose self esteem..Dangerous, fight it, get it out of your mind. Concerning brain dead yacht crew insulting you when approaching the yacht....get over it. Yacht crew who fail to give proper respect to anyone approaching the yacht, for any reason, will soon meet reality. When you finally secure a new position as captain do your best to relocate the yacht out from behind the security fences of the main yachting Ghettos and into secondary ports in which real people live and work. In the real world arrogant crew end up in the hospital or are removed from the food chain.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:59 PM

junior wrote:
Unemployment causes you to lose self esteem..Dangerous, fight it, get it out of your mind. Concerning brain dead yacht crew insulting you when approaching the yacht....get over it. Yacht crew who fail to give proper respect to anyone approaching the yacht, for any reason, will soon meet reality. When you finally secure a new position as captain do your best to relocate the yacht out from behind the security fences of the main yachting Ghettos and into secondary ports in which real people live and work. In the real world arrogant crew end up in the hospital or are removed from the food chain.

Junior has it spot on, you are seeing what you believe. It's you who feels worthless because you are unemployed and you start to read it into things. If you let it get too far it can lead to mental collapse, I have seen it happen.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:28 PM
I also think that some might be a little bit afraid of the competition when their Bosun/Chiefstew etc are getting CVs from people much more qualified than themselves.
Cizealin
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 12:54 AM

Absolute rubbish! (re original posting) I cannot remember when we have ever been rude to an enquiry, depends on your attitude too though! Which frankly from your discussion dosen't sound good. Always a pleasure when possible to talk to dockwalkers on the quay, certainly here in the Med. Sometimes things are going on so don't mistake a short response from crew if the owners have just arrived for a weekend for example.. or in the middle of a hard day when we all have only a little time off for lunch?! Good luck.
Capt Sully
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:04 PM

Years ago, when I was in the same unemployed, day work position, I found a CV to be useless. You can't just walk the dock giving out CVs to every yacht you come across. That's as bad as an office guy just spamming every company on Monster.com. The best way into a full time job (if there is an opening) is to get on board the boat as a dayworker. Don't give them a piece of paper. Get on there and work as hard as you can. Show them not only how you work, but what you know. What kind of person you are. Always worked for me.
apo_kary
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:28 AM

Obviously these people they don't respect. It is a mirror of their general behaviour I believe. I have seen it happening and I had the chance to meet such people. I am not unemployed but I do pay respect to those looking for job. My suggestion is "Keep Walking" and what goes around comes around. I agree that it is better to work as day worker on board to prove your self but still you would have to give out your CV to have the chance (in reply to the last comment).

Henning
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:45 PM

Also consider that if you just are walking up to the boat without asking for the mate/chief stew/captain, there is a good chance you may be talking to a day worker, especially around Ft Lauderdale where most boats are basically laid up on skeleton crews and often the washing and polishing is done by day workers trying for the same crew spot you're asking about.

Mohamed Hany
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:16 AM

I think this can happen every where in office
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:58 PM
Most probably because: ( not going out to the new candidates) 1- When you you drop of your C. V. you give it to some one on a aft deck. 2- This same person is doing tedius work because he whent on a bender the night before. 3- Always try and hand your C.V. to senior/ rank / or responsable person. if not it is going to be the joke. for coffe/ tea break. in the case of female´s, extra comments. When i started i yachting some 20 years ago. i had to say sorry i have a job. Since i did not go to yachtie bars my work fell, lucky for me i had a good reputation. and work took its tolls but always was there. But trying to get full employment. That is a different question. 4- crew agencies, How the hell do you make money? i have been working now for ..... but i keep signing up weekly etc. etc and there is one thing i do not do. Sail boats not that i do not like them in fact i Love them but i am not a Sail person, and it sy´s it on my CV´s and the omly jobs i get mentioned a for sail boats. As i said before i am working but not receiving any vacancies . True cvacancies because the feelers i say yes and do not receive further notice. The reason they treat you bad is because they was there before and had the sam treatment. Signed.LEE
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:49 PM
Obviously nothing to do with the hundreds of times a day crew get pulled from they're duties to receive cv's or dockwalkers ringing the bell at silly o'clock on sunday mornings, or slipping on the thousands of cv's that are jammed on your pasarelle every day.. or dockwalkers harassing guests stepping on and off the boat or anyone that steps on and off the boat. or all the paper that newbie wastes when he prints 100 cv's and dumps 5 on every yacht in the port. If you are way more qualified than those green deckhands, why are you dockwalking? or are you one of those deckhands with power issues or just a sour crewmember.. and its not the same in every other industry.. Im pretty sure office workers dont get interrupted every 5 minutes and are expected to put a straight face with a smile and be nice and caring and give everyone advice and daywork..
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 9:39 PM
My favourite is when we see you in the camera walk on the freshly scrubbed aft deck with your shoes on and place a CV under a rock on the teak.

Average 5 out of 5