Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SXM is crazy slow, what's happening??
Dex
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:31 PM

Every year since 3 years I come to SXM for the winter season. Usually there is tons of yacht, lots of daywork and full time position comes and goes. This season is very different so far. Mainly no daywork at all, crew houses are not even half full and many empty slots at Isle de Sol, which used to be packed. What the hell is going on?? Is it worth it to stay here until the end of March?? Are most of the yacht already gone to the Med??any comments would be much appreciated.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:34 PM
SXM has not had a boat show for 3 years. The boats have stopped coming here. Most crew know this by now. The ones that want to party still come, but the smart ones stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I wish I had.
John Doe
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:37 PM

SXM used to be the cheap waiting room and provisioning centre for yachts in between trip and charters. It has priced itself out of business. Boats are spending fuel to wait elsewhere and still save money on dockage and water.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:43 PM
Get yourself a kayak and paddle out to the fleet at anchor outside the bridge and see if they need any daywork.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:31 PM
Antigua is your answer, it's packed here, can't even get a small welding job done cause the contractors are too busy. SXM is still cheaper for alot of things read: duty free.
John Runestam
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:43 PM

Yeah, very quiet this season... Was lucky and got a job though, however if you are in St. Maarten and want work you should reconsider going to Antigua, close and pretty cheap flights. Have some friends who say it is way better over there. Good Luck!
jojones21
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:57 PM

Hi Dex So sorry you still haven't found work! I told you you should go to Antigua didn't I! Haim is there and said there is a lot more chance of work there. Lovely to meet you in the Crew House and hope you find a job soon. Jo x
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:30 AM
The other thing that is happening is SXM is the tighter security. I regularly see people trying to talk their way into the marina. Legitimate contractors and crew need I.D. to get past the gate and if you think walking on the opposite side of the gate makes you invisible I think the only person you are fooling is yourself. Be polite and just say your going for a drink at the bar in the marina and see if you can meet some crew and network yourself into a job. Apart from that I'd say keep your nose clean and assume senior crew, captains and industry leaders are sitting beside you and acting like a goat with shrink your chances of finding a job.
danieljkerr
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:47 AM

Hi Dex, I feel for you man. I remember you well from my time in SXM. To crazy to believe it's dead quiet but all the best that something turns up.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:29 AM
hi dex,stay home and get the job in local pub,SIMPLE THE BEST
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:11 AM
Sometimes no daywork can be a sign that things are turning for the best because boats are busier and are out at anchor and hard at work. So, you may be seeing a longer season than usual but daywork will pour in once it will dwindle down
Garfield
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:17 AM

I'm sure Ludvic's murder last year hasn't helped.
yes
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:15 AM

things are changing fast i sxm i have lived hear for a long time but need to get out since sxm became a contory thay have changed a lot of laws it is atuly aleegel to drive enny vesol from a dingy up to a mega yacht in st maarten waters with out a st maarten boat masters licece which is not avalibel to non dutch citasns yes thay ignor the whight boats but an over zeelos offichel can stop you it is no longer safe to walk around sipson bay at night Igy controls most of the marinas so expekt to pay expect to spend an intier day to clear in deling with roud racest meen oficels ( why do you think octopis will never come back ?) the cost gard wil haras you at every turn but the coke is still $20 a gram

Average 3.5 out of 5