Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Aliens in my sea chests :)
CornishCarlos
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 2:32 PM

Anyone know how to upload a photo to these forum posts ?? I removed about 30 aliens from my sea chest yesterday. Never seen anything like them before. About 10-15cm in length, clear egg sacks with something large growing inside. Not fragile like normal fish eggs, I tried to open one up for a closer look and it took some cutting I have some photos and would love to know what they are but can't post them on here !! We are in Marseille, if that sheds any light on the subject.. Comments ??
Steve
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:28 PM

Hi Carlos. Click on the My Dockwalk tab (in the upper black bar), and then find the Photos option in the list of items (below the black bar). Here you will be able to upload photos and give descriptions.

CornishCarlos
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:00 PM

Thanks Steve... Have posted some but would have liked to put them on here.. Hope someone can tell me what they are ??
Steve
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:22 PM

When you add a post or reply, the text box will open for your message. At the bottom is a blue box labeled Attachment. Use that to add a pic within your post...or you can direct readers to look at the "Alien" photos in the photo section on the homepage.
junior
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:46 PM

Hard to judge scale...size in your pic. Perhaps Cephalopods egg cases . Squid , Sepia, They breed Dec thru early spring in the Med. http://rxwildlife.org.uk/2008/05/13/squid-eggs/
CornishCarlos
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:51 PM

I was thinking maybe octopus or squid but thought their eggs were smaller !! These are varying between 10 and 15cm long, about 3cm diameter..
junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:12 AM

Been Years since Ive been to Marseille....nice town, great food.. If there are still fisherman...bottom draggers...working out of the harbour you should ask them. Many egg case creatures are bottom dwellers. Possible that a dragger picked it up with a trawl then cleaned it off the deck in the harbour.
CornishCarlos
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:01 PM

I've been told that they maybe shark eggs !! Like most people I thought sharks gave birth to live young but apparently some species lay eggs and having googled them, they do look very similar How a shark got to where they were is a mystery though..
Steve
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:44 PM

Carlos, if you have the original photos, send them to me. There is a university professor willing to take a look and see if he can identify them. steve@dockwalk.com
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:42 AM
Speaking of sea chests, we have extreme root like growth in 1 of the 2 sea chests, coincidently our engines will over heat (coolant & L.O) and as for the sea water pump that may be fused due to the 'growth' the PTO for the bow thruster runs of this engine too... Whats the options on cleaning/ solving this? Getting lifted for a full clean and inspect water impeller?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:15 PM
Put a chlorine tablet in the sea strainer each time you clean it. The tabs for swimming pools do the trick
junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:16 PM

When a sea monster invades your sea chest, threatening to dim the lights on your charter stinky , you only have two choices.... you can look at it and make a note to send management , then return to your bar stool or you can be a seaman, close the thru hull, take off your engineer costume, put some work gloves on and maintain the dam thing. Its Your choice.
CornishCarlos
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:28 PM

Thanks Junior... That is exactly what I did, hence I have photos of aliens on the quay

Average 0 out of 5