Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is the yachting a chance worth taking?
Saraboell
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:19 PM

Hi. My name is Sara and I am 21 years old. I have for a long time wanted to begin in the yachting industry as a stewardess. I have been working in **** stars restaurants for 4 years now, and last summer I worked as a stewardess for DFDS-Seaways (Danish cruiseship) for six months. I would really like to make money and travel at the same time. I have always been keen of sailing and I am not afraid of the long hard hours it takes to be in yachting. I wondered if anybody out there could tell me about the industry and if trying to succed in it is a chance worth taking? How difficult is it to get a job that you enjoy? Any advice? Sara
Project Consultant
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:45 PM

Sarah -
I recommend you go for it, I started at age 21 did it for 15 years and know it was the right move.
My experience was primarily on privately owned sailboats for a high net worth family.  When I was ready to leave the business I was brought into their family business, and have prospered since. 
In any event, there is no way that under other circumstances I would have had the travel opportunities and life experiences that a  sailing career offered.  Now that I have the means to enjoy travel, it's not the same as doing it in your 20's.   If you do it, save your money and have an exit strategy.
You're going to get plenty of good advice from people active in the industry.  Enjoy.

Anton D Park
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:07 AM

Sarah, the one thing (mistake) that most new people make when entering (or trying to break into) the yachting industry is to mention your intentions! Which (as it reads) is "make money and travel" no one will touch you of that is what you say when trying to get a job in yachting! Don't ever mention your personal expectations when applying to a captain/purser/executive chef/ chief stew! You will be thrown to the bottom of the CV pile, if not in the bin! Instead try and focus on your strong points! Do some research and find out what captains are looking for! Listen to your crew agents! They know what they are talking about! And above all..,. Be honest! Don't bullshit you way in to a job! You will be spotted a mile off! I will be writing an article about this on YSCN network soon! Anton
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:55 AM
Hi I am married to a Chief stew so I know what I am telling you so pay attention Nobady is goin to tell you this. Yes you make money fast and maybe spend it just as fast but in order to make more you will have be on your knees and clean toilets dirty floors collect condoms if you charter are traditional Muslims(not disrespect intended) have a particular way which will make hard for you to clean. Then is the long hours and the abuse. The superstars Chef than think they are closed to God. You may see famous people most of the time from the distance. and if they are on board you will clean theirs dirty underwear. So yeah come and joint us in this the dream job. The crew agents will tell you different but remember they make money if you get hire normally on month salary so if your salary is 3000$ they make 3000$
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:58 AM
Most of the people is telling you go for it but if you check most of them are Agents or related to it.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:38 PM
Sara, as is with anything, thier are pros and cons and it all depends on what it is you want, not just the basic travel and making money, that's why we're all in it right? I'm talking about what you want out of a job, cause it is a job and a lifestyle. Figure out what kind of boat you want, power or sail, private or charter, one that sits on a dock all season on one that's in a different port all the time, Big or small? If you know what you want and stick to it instead of taking the first offer you get cause" at least it's something and it will get my foot in the door" your more likely to get satisfaction out of your job and your life aboard. I assume you like waiting on people hand and foot, cleaning up after them and tolerating chefs and captains inflated egos( not all of them are like that by the way) cause if you're not actually happy with the work no amount of money or travel will change the fact the what you do 99 % of the time makes you miserable.

Average 0 out of 5