Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
PYA USA Regional Office Meeting
Mike French
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:54 PM

The PYA US regional office will hold its first meeting on Monday 20th February, at the offices of IYT Ft Lauderdale at 1730hrs.  The PYA is based in Antibes but it speaks for yacht crew everywhere.  The PYA US regional office aims to provide a regional voice so that crew based or operating in the western Atlantic yacht cruising areas can provide the PYA with information on pressing regional issues.  If you have something to say please come and share your thoughts, if you don’t speak you cannot be heard!  Anyone involved in the yachting sector is welcome to attend.  Light refreshments will be provided.

To RSVP - Contact Mike French at IYT Ft Lauderdale – 954 779 7764

IYT Ft Lauderdale

910 SE 17th St, Suite 200

Fort Lauderdale, Fl

captainjoei
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:15 PM

PYA does exactly what in France and USA?

Listen to our problems...WHY?

I know what joining a PTA is but not PYA...lol

Capt. Joei

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:31 AM
LOL. The PYA wants to hear from yacht crew? The PYA only became active once they were contacted by the British union Nautilus. With MLC due to take effect, they see this as a catalyst to promote the unionization of yachties. How will the PYA benefit? Union dues. How will yachties benefit? Zero.
junior
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:36 AM

Gee, nothing wrong with Mike French posting a notice. Im not a PYA man myself but very many yacht crew find the PYA an effective way to network with yachties and marine industry personnel who actually have a job. It would be worthwhile to swing by, listen in and make yourself known. The PYA is simply a forum, its advantage is that participants are not Anonymous
heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:55 PM

i find dockwalk editing to be pro union ,,so i'm not surprised to see such an advert in disguise.
Mike French
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:46 PM

[Comment edited by moderator] Unlike a forum it is a face to face opportunity to discuss what, if anything, crew advocacy can do for crew.  Like it or not the IMO, MCA et al do not read the Dockwalk or listen to the infantile rambling of the self appointed.  Instead they favour the democratic method and discuss issues affecting crew with elected representatives of crew themselves.  So, the 'powers that be' are deciding policy that will affect you and your crewmates whilst you whine online.  If you want to be heard show up to the meeting and have your say. [Comment edited by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:01 PM
In my experience, hostility usually indicates a certain level of wrongdoing. So Mike, being the pro-yachtie advocate that you promote in your posting, how about a little transparency. How much of a cut is IYT getting for their new "cooperation" with the PYA? Certain percentage from each new membership? Maybe a little referral fee from Nautilus? Last I knew, IYT was a FOR-PROFIT company. PYA will definitely solicit membership at this meeting. [Comment edited by moderator]

Mike French
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:35 PM

Hold on a minute, questioning anyone's candour from behind the veil of anonymity is indefensible.

To be absolutely clear my aim is not to solicit anyone for anything but to raise voices in this region and by doing so inform policy.  I am doing it because I quite like yachties, they pay my bills, I am one, my mrs was one and my daughter could become one (my son is going to be an astronaut).  couple that with the fact that I think their interests are valid.  It actually costs IYT Ft Lauderdale money to do this and so frankly I am hoping that we find, relatively quickly, a few motivated crew members who will take up the mantle and represent the interests of others for the greater good.  As anonymous proves beautifully, the loudest voice is not always the smartest one.

So again I would suggest that you turn up to the meeting in person and share your thoughts.  Don't get excited about the refreshments though.

junior
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:29 PM

Aww Jeez Mike, dont engage these ghosts. And good to see that you are hosting the PYA gathering in the US. Much to learn from thier experience as yachtsman.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:13 PM
Nice way to avoid the topic Mike. Deflect the question to something else. Yes, it costs you money to host, but how much are you planning to make by your affiliation with the PYA? And Junior, what ghost? How are you any different from someone that posts anonymously. You just don't have to remember to click the box. So proud of your stance, then post your real name and boat. [Comment edited by moderator]

Yacht Expedition
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:15 PM

It's a very good question. PYA is famous for its recent affiliation with Nautilus. Having been a member of that union during my days on tankers, I can attest that they were one of the reasons why I moved to yachts. I'm not sure that the question was delivered in the most professional way, but it is a viable one. What benefit does IYT gain from representing the PYA? Is this now an avenue for PYA (and Nautilus) to make contact with a source of potential yacht members. Does IYT gain revenue by promoting PYA? The PYA has really expanded its worldwide presence. And it appears that most of that expansion is through a shared agreement at training schools. Isn't this a conflict of interest? Please Mr. French. Without being anonymous or hiding behind a fake name, I ask you to please enlighten us. Thank you.
Mike French
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:45 AM

Be assured that IYT Ft Lauderdale gains nothing except that we will be able to represent the interests of the yacht crew in the US and this region in general, to the PYA leadership. Advising crew on the ease of entry into US waters or securing visas for example, is something that is not necessarily at the top of the agenda of the the PYA leadership and it is up to actors here to raise these and other issues and promote awareness and the dissemination of factual correct information to yacht crew through the PYA channels amongst others. As a regional office IYT will, it is hoped, also be able to verify the sea time of its students who are pursuing the MCA yacht qualifications. This is one of the services provided by the PYA to its members. At the moment PYA members have to send all of their paperwork to the PYA offices in Antibes which is not always convenient. In essence we hope to bring the benefits of the PYA to this side of the pond. I am not aware of any affiliation between the PYA and Nautilus that is a question you wold have to address to those parties directly. The Marine Industry Cares foundation is shortly to host the "spinathon". Would you suggest that companies supporting this charity are in fact doing so to further their own aims through marketing to potential customers? The not for profit sector relies on support and funding from the private sector and in return provides a forum for exposure to the marketplace. This symbiotic relationship is a win win situation and promotes the concept of sustainability which has long been the watchword of successful public sector intervention. The relationship of yachting businesses and the PYA is just such a win win situation. Many companies have chosen to become corporate members of the PYA and their candor should not be in question. Sometimes you have to accept that people simply wish to do some good for their industry.
Yacht Expedition
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:21 PM

Thank you Mr. French. I appreciate your reply to my question. However, I find the explanation a bit dodgy. You state, "I am not aware of any affiliation between the PYA and Nautilus..." Am I to believe that a well-respected company such as IYT performed no due diligence before affiliating itself with the PYA? The PYA agreement with Nautilus is listed right on their website. It is also on Nautilus' website. It is on Google. I have a hard time to believe that one, but I must accept your statement at face value. And for your comparison of this relationship to the Marine Industry Cares event is a big, big stretch. The Spinathon is being used as a catalyst to generate funds to the underprivileged. You are not doing that here. You are helping establish the presence of a private company, with known links to a labor union, under the guise of "help." In your own posting, you tout the advantages of assisting crew submit their sea time. Is that not a business venture of the PYA? I think you are trying to overshadow the true motives of the PYA with a well-intentioned effort of sharing information amongst the industry. My recommendation is to just call it what it is, which is a new business service of IYT.
junior
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:37 PM

Gee, that's industry standard...whats it got to do with the PYA ? Everyone knows that Gin Palace Jockeys smash up a few rigs before they get the hang of it. Driving the big rigs aint easy... even PYA guys find it a challenging once off the dock. I just walked by the shipyard cafe and there was a whole table of runny nosed Captain Crashes , fiddling Iphones , talking way too fast and looking for the next drive. They aren't PYA members . The whole reason you network with Pro Yachtsman is to learn this as well as many, many other things. I suggest you attend. . No one will press gang you into Union Membership
Mike French
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:45 PM

Yacht Expedition

You are losing me here. I think there is a point but I am not really seeing it, are you anti PYA, anti IYT, anti Nautlius or anti union. 

Please provide me information about the affiliation between PYA and Nautilus as I still cant find it.  unless you mean the discount by Nautilus for PYA members, I would not call this an affiliation but if you do that explains it and one hopes would avoid your intimation that I am lying.  I stand by my assessment of the relationship between private and public sector entities.  The aid business and charity sector may be founded on altruism but it is funded through pragmatism, but I digress.

You would be a typical candidate to turn up to the PYA regional meeting at 1730 on Feb 20th.  You have an opinion, you are a little cynical and with a healthy scepticism we really have a chance of moving the agenda forward.  Please come, the idea is not to have mutual back slapping session but to see if and where regional advocacy fits into the lives and livelihoods of professional yacht crew.

Average 5 out of 5