Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Help! Using a Master 200 GT Certificate from France in the US
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:09 AM
Joined: 22/01/2012
Posts: 1

Hi- I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me advice on this. I've been working on boats throughout Europe for the past 15 years and spent the last few years helming my own fishing boat out of France. I have a Master 200 GT Certificate from France and I'm wondering if I can somehow transfer that over to the US and work here in the US. I moved to the US 3 years ago (wife) and have a valid green card (citizenship soon to follow). What do I need to do to be able to use my french certificate to work on boats in the US? Would I be allowed to captain a boat here? Thanks in advance.
Captain Andy
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:09 AM
Joined: 17/09/2008
Posts: 93

Hi JM! Send an email to Mike French at International Yacht Training (IYT) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As usually, he will give you expert advice on this matter if you write to him. Hope this helps?!?!?
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:59 PM
Joined: 01/06/2008
Posts: 1064

If you have a green card you are eligible for an OUPV (6 pack) license. That allows you up to 6 passengers for hire on vessels <25grt. That with a sailing and towing endorsement allow for employment in most areas with water. Small commercial towing/salvage operations are good first jobs, so are small sailing charters. Electric gondolas in Newport Harbor CA were a great paying job. Getting a $200 tip on a 2 hr ride was not uncommon. When you get citizenship and turn in some more days of sea time they'll upgrade it to 25, 50, 100, or 200 ton depending on the time on tonnage you turn in. You may be able to use prior foreign certificates as proof of sea time. Best thing for you to do is contact the USCG and they will send you an application packet. Fill that all out best as you can and send it in to get your evaluation process started.
 Average 0 out of 5