Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Obama takes first step to ease U.S. visas regulations
Janine
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:59 PM

Obama takes first step to ease U.S. visa regulations. What could this mean for yacht crew? According to an article on travel.usatoday.com, Obama has set in motion his plan to make visa applications easier to obtain for visitors from some foreign countries, namely China and Brazil. As we move away from the tightened restrictions caused by the 2001 terrorist attacks, will it be easier for crew to come to the States to look for work?
Read full article here

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 8:52 PM
You might want to read the heading "TO BOOST TOURISM"Not to assist yachties wanting to look for work illegally in the US.
sean
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:47 PM

Well there are crew in the states looking for work...their called Americans.  Foriegn vessels have no problem employing Americans...I know because I've worked on many of them.  If theres an "insurance" issue with employing statesmen, then theres plenty of other countries handy find other nationalities like the Bahamas...conveniently only 50 miles from Ft Lauderdale. 

While I appreciate the resource this website provides, promoting this kind of job poaching via abusing new lenient visa regulations for VISITING foriegners is really embarrassing and ethically wrong for the likes of Dockwalk...a US based publication. 

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:01 AM
Not trying to stir the pot but while Dockwalk is a US publication I am curious as to how many people working there are ex yachties that have relocated from other countries? Yachting is becoming a global community and as long as the rules for visas and cruising permits are followed no nationality should be discriminated against, including Americans on foreign vessels.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:31 AM
Hear, hear! Why shouldn't foreign crew be able to look for work in the States if they are legally entitled to do so? Same goes for Americans in other countries. As the previous commenter stated, it's a global economy and, chances are, visa rules are changing. See the recent changes in SXM. Whose to say that the US won't relax the work visa situation for foreign crew in coming years?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:43 AM
Maybe we're missing the point. It's not that THIS change will help necessarily, but maybe it's starting a series of immigration changes. And the topic definately got us talking!

And are we really saying that only Americans can be hired on American soil? So Italians can only be hired in Italy and Australians in Australia? Come on! It's 2012! It's an international industry! As long as people are following the laws when looking for work, I don't think there's anything to be said.

Henning
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:37 AM

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe we're missing the point. It's not that THIS change will help necessarily, but maybe it's starting a series of immigration changes. And the topic definately got us talking!

And are we really saying that only Americans can be hired on American soil? So Italians can only be hired in Italy and Australians in Australia? Come on! It's 2012! It's an international industry! As long as people are following the laws when looking for work, I don't think there's anything to be said.

Most definitely!!! It's much much harder to find a job in Australia without a work visa than in the US, it's also quite difficult for a non Commonwealther to get a work visa for Aus. If it wasn't for "Partner Migration" I would not have been able to attain a working visa there. Aus has a higher percentage of Yabbos than the US has of Rednecks as well. As for working in Europe without a visa... how do you do that? Heck people have to leave all the time because Schengen Visa issues.

Rusty Wrench
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:59 PM

Seaman's Discharge Book is the answer to all the above.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:41 PM
Maybe the US government can can up with a similar visa program as in some countries.Were as the yachtsperson is a issued with a "Super Yacht Visa" and simply start paying taxes.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:41 PM

Rusty Wrench wrote:
Seaman's Discharge Book is the answer to all the above.

Kinda yeah, but you won't necessarily be able to get off the boat. OTOH, It's rare that a port will deny a seaman port liberty unless they have a prior offense record with the jurisdiction.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:51 PM
Bonified Seamen with a discharge book are traditionally issued C1/D1 visa which only allow them to stay Max 30 days and there are also other formalities they must tender to, like when leaving the vessel, they must be officially discharged from the vessel and repatriated.

Average 0 out of 5