Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
St. Maartin safer?
sean
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:39 AM

I'm heading down to the Caribbean and was reading up on water taxis between the marinas in Simpson Bay...wanted to see if their reasonable for crew (price and running times). Also I reading about security I.D.'s to get uni the 4 major marinas....is this up and running?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:29 PM
I am currently in the IGY Marina Isle de Sol. They check everyone coming in in a car but if they have seen you leave or you are in a boat shirt they let you walk back in no problems. But it is 24hour good security. Have just been in Simpson bay marina and the security was good there too with keypad entry after hours and 24 hour guard on the gate. Not sure about the water taxi though. Have heard its unreliable.
Heather Hawthorne
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:22 PM

I haven't seen a reliable water taxi service anywhere in the Caribbean, except during boat shows so I wouldn't count on that. Take the local island vans for $1 when you need to get around. You will always need a Driver's License ID to get into the marinas. They very often do not let you just walk in if you are not on a crew list and definitely will not let you in if you don't have an ID. \
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:37 PM
Not sure about the water taxi's, as for security it seems tighter but I did see a contractor hand of some cash to the guard at the gate. So where that leaves security is questionable. If I had a choice I'd avoid St Martin because you can very easily find yourself at the wrong end of town. If you do come to St Martin keep your whits about you, don't get belligerently drunk and never walk alone at night because there is a dark side to the Islands that is kept quiet, the illegal taxis hawk crew and tourists and accepting a ride with these dudes is the surest way to be rolled over or even worse.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:37 PM
Not sure about the water taxi's, as for security it seems tighter but I did see a contractor hand of some cash to the guard at the gate. So where that leaves security is questionable. If I had a choice I'd avoid St Martin because you can very easily find yourself at the wrong end of town. If you do come to St Martin keep your whits about you, don't get belligerently drunk and never walk alone at night because there is a dark side to the Islands that is kept quiet, the illegal taxis hawk crew and tourists and accepting a ride with these dudes is the surest way to be rolled over or even worse.
b@c
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:00 AM

I've been docked at Palapa for a couple of weeks and the water taxi has been running regularly every night til late. Valeska at Palapa will even give you a card which entitles you to complimentary use of it. A great service.

sean
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:43 AM

well I here now (@ port de plesance) so I'll follow up on what I've learned... simpson bay has beefed up security but not as secure as isle de sole....there pretty well guarded and are checking id's. port de plesance is too. the water taxi is $5 and running from 4pm to 1:45 am last pick up at soggy dollar and till 4am on the weekends. they'll take you to any Marina. so far, so good

Average 0 out of 5