Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
October in the Med
Diane.b
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:34 PM

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing my certificates in Ft. Lauderdale in September of this year, during the travel period on my J1 visa, and then heading over to the Med to try get some work. I know it will be the end of the season and it will be very slim pickings in the terms of work. Has anyone had any experience dockwalking and getting hired at the end of the season? Where would be the best place to go to in the Med at this time? I would have liked to have gone at the beginning of the season this year, but unfortunately the timing isn't the best.
Diane.b
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:38 PM

If you wouldnt recommend going the the Med in October, would the job boards be better on JF Recruiting? Do yachts fly new crew out to them if they hire them?
Henning
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:40 AM

Diane.b wrote:
If you wouldnt recommend going the the Med in October, would the job boards be better on JF Recruiting? Do yachts fly new crew out to them if they hire them?

Fly from home to the boats location? Yes, if they don't, you are looking at the beginning of a very bad situation that will likely leave you with no money.

junior
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:55 AM

Oh and remember to bring your fishing rod. Great fishing for Lampuga and tuna in October.
Julie
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:54 AM

I'm in the exact same situation as D. I too will be freshly certified with my STCW 95 and a 5-day liveabroad competent crew course, and green with experience. I was told by a notable agency to try the South of France, and I'm here in Thailand getting certified. It seems with the season turn that Ft. Lauderdale would be a safer bet? Any good websites for the seasons and where/when to look for crew work? Thanks!

Average 0 out of 5