Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Fired While on Vacation all my gear is stranded in Carib
matt Luckett
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:48 AM

Captain Andy
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:20 AM

Morning Matt! There are a lot of variables to consider here. What is the flag state of the yacht, what is your nationality, where did you leave the yacht, do you have a contract, if so where is the management company or company located, were you given notice either written or verbal? Where are you at the moment? As you can probably guess I teach the MCA Business and Law course and so know the topic very well! I am more than willing to help, but will only do so if you email me directly at Yacht_captain@live.com. Speak soon....
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:00 PM
Matt Capt Andy is right! Capt agreements should be written and all pertaining Qs should be within this agreement. I hear so many of these stories and I am baffled that to this day still people don't sign agreements. Granted these agencies place you but look they made out and you lost. Hard lesson to gulp. On the other hand if it's all written out on severance or termination, or dissolution of agreement you got a fighting chance of getting it all back @ there expence. In the mean time contact the marina in Provo or ??? And get in touch with new Capt. Get your stuff off. I am sure the new guy doesn't want it aboard. What is the make of the boat and size?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:44 PM
Sounds like you need a plane ticket, can't you use the petty cash for that. Mate if i was you I would get there straight away! [Comment edited by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:21 PM
matt, captain Andy is the wise person here for now. you should give all the information about that boat, then we can answer you wisely what you can do by the book.
Nik
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:33 PM

I live on Provo, westienik @ hotmail.com. Happy to help out if i can.
Henning
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:15 PM

The real answer to this dilemma is two fold. First be more selective of who you work for and with. The problem with yachting is the preponderance of scumbags from the top to the bottom. If you cultivate proper relationships you won't run into this problem. Even if the owner screws you, someone from the crew will still be on the boat to cover your back. If no one on the crew will help you out, well, you were probably a pretty crappy shipmate.

Average 4 out of 5