Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Stand-Up Paddleboard Rules
Yacht Expedition
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 1:16 PM

Went for a fantastic paddle on Sunday in the intracoastal near Jupiter, Florida. Gorgeous weather, not a cloud in the sky. Manatees and fish everywhere. Took my 7-year old daughter. She sat on the nose while I paddled us around. Got stopped by Florida Fish and Wildlife. I was ready for the visit. 2 USCG-approved PFDs with whistles. Had a photo-ID, the whole 9 yards. The law enforcement officer proceeded to instruct me that the State of Florida has determined that SUPs may only carry 1 person at a time. We were riding a Starboard Avanti 11'-02" x 36". Plenty big for 2 people. I am very aware of the USCG determination of SUPs as navigating vessels, but I have never heard of the 1 person per board rule. Can anyone point me to where this is published? Boat capacity normally is determined by the builder's plate, however SUPs are exempt from this requirement. Any help? Thanks.

Average 5 out of 5