Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
When is the best time to get to antibes this year?
Mark Punter
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:59 PM

I have been told to get there mid Febuary, by a crew agent and crew house (a well respected crew house) but a few other people on yachts said that could be way to early. Is arriving mid feb to early to find a job and have a career in yachts? Kind Regards Mark Punter
Jure
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 10:40 PM

i'm still a student and with real life experience limited to adriatic sofar, but from what i managed to dugout in past couple of years, everything there in west med starts from the end of march? but if you intend to take more than a couple of courses perhaps it is not unwise to arrive earlier so that  you can take time to be fully prepared for the dockwalk season. my 5 cents of wisdom until some of the oldhands advises you. good luck anyways!

Laure
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:41 AM

Hi Mark,

I was in Antibes last summer, so here I give you my piece of advice

If you are a newbie, you will have to do some work :
- find an accommodation (crew house usualy)
- get your STCW95 (security course, without it you won't find a job)
- get the ENG 1 (marine medical certificate)
- get the powerboat (course where you learn how to drive a tender, but it is not compulsory)
- register online with ALL the crew agencies, and then, go to visit them in Antibes (they are around 20!)

The best time to be in Antibes is beginning/middle April.
But, If you have to do all those stuff above, you should come over Mid March.
Last year I was newbie and I came end of march, was the perfect time.

Be aware that if you come earlier you will spend lot of money ! Antibes and crew houses are expensive.
Be wise to book an accommodation in advance because they are full very quickly.

I hope this can help you !

Good luck

nina
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:02 PM

Mid February is way too early. I have been in the yachting industry for over 10 years and I can tell you that Easter cruise is the beginning of the season for some big boats, the rest don't really start before the beginning of May. In my opinion, if you can arrive in Antibes at the end of March it would be better. Make sure you are registered with all the agencies and that they know your arrival date in Antibes. Try to share an apartment rather than staying in a crew house, it is cheaper. Good Luck !
Mark Punter
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:06 PM

hi guys many thanks for the advice. I already have my yachtmasters offshore, cruising insructor, ocean theory, stcw, eng, power boat 2, and all the radar stuff and more etc.. I have booked my flights for march 19 and staying in a crew house thinking of hanging around for about 5 weeks and then see what the score is. Any of you guys going to be there the same time?
valter
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 12:03 PM

Hi Mark. Key dates for 2012 season: Easter 8th of April and Antibes Yacht Show 12th-15th of April. Getting there on the 19th of March sounds perfect timing to me. Good luck!
For the ones saying Feb is too early, I can only say that I have close examples of people who where there last season by that time and all of them (3) got day work, deliveries or some kind of temporary work. Bear in mind this is the time when most of the boats are getting ready.
Later on the season (Apr/May) all of them secured seasonal/permanent positions due to the so called "networking" meanwhile estabilished.
Wish you all the best.

Mhopkins
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:07 PM

Im flying out to Antibes on the 7th March. Maybe this is slightly a bit early but this will be my first season in the industry so I am hoping to get a good bit of daywork before the season starts to help me find a more permanent position as I do plan to be in the business for many years. Very excited to start my new career.
jezz craddock
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:56 PM

Hi guys im coming down to antibes again after a bit of a disaster going in october last year! I got one day of work and that was it! Im basically wondering when people are heading down there??? my mate is going early feb which i think is too early? i know how expensive it is down there so need to know a rough idea of when will be best to go down there.I have my stcw95 powerboat etc. I will do as much daywork as possible but is there really any point of going down there before mid to late march?? any info would be great
Mark Punter
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:05 AM

well a crew agent told me to get there feb for day work. but like you say funds!! so I went for mid march. What qualifications do you have?
MarineDex
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:22 PM

If you are looking to come to the south for the first time this year then check out what I wrote on getting a job in the superyacht industry which I’ve just updated. I'll keep adding to it over time along with other pages in the superyacht guide I created that I’ve put together to try and answer regular questions in the forums such as Dockwalk.

If you have any suggestions and would like to add to what I’ve written please feel free to contact me

At info@marinedex.com

junior
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:09 PM

Best time to arrive in Antibes ? everyone is different. Personally I like to arrive in Port Vauban at dawn, get the boat secured, shore power plugged, kick off me seaboots, step into my flip flops, then shuffle thru the gates to pick up a fresh baguette , a coffee and the newspaper. Some people prefer evening arrival.
MarineDex
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:26 PM

I love those arrivals in the port at dawn, when crew come from wrong direction. Nothing quite like seeing them arrive from someone else boat nursing a hangover with their shoes still in their hand praying no one saw them, or arriving by taxi being carried by someone else. Makes for the best entertainment for those who get up early for a coffee and paper in the morning.

faybion
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:22 PM

There is never a Best Time...
bdollo
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:31 PM

Hi Mark, I too am a 'Newbie', i will be in antibes on the 1st of march. I have my STCW95, comp crew and Powerboat LVL 2... still need to get my ENG1 and then start walking the docks for daywork to get some experience as i have none apart from my training... Hoping to kick on for the rest of the season. Cheers Ben
Alissa Smith
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:48 PM
I have been told by crew agents to arrive at the end of march/ begging on April, before Easter to keep flights cost down.
Seasonjunkie
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:37 PM

Thanks Laure this seems really useful! One question - do I still need an STCW95 if I want to work on the smaller sailing yachts?
soph
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:00 PM

Hi there, I have been reading this post with some interest, and was wonderin you all mention the best time to head to antibes before the med season starts but what are the chances of getting a job in antibes at the end of the med season to start the winter season somewhere? Dont want to have to wait until next year to start but by the time i get all the courses done wont be until september. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Average 0 out of 5