Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Whos the best paint company in SoFla? Awl-Grip Issues?
sean
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:18 PM

I've been doing my homework for repainting the boat and i thought I'd throw it out there to see what everybody else's experiences have been.  Looking to repaint a 50m in the West Palm Beach area so what paint teams do you reccomend? 

Also, I've talked with a bunch of  boats that have had issues with a bad batch of Awl-Grips top-coat.  The common problem is its been "orange peeling" after a while...anybody else have any experience with this? 

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:13 PM
Sean, There is a "paint Expert" up in "the WPB" yard that used to work for Awlgrip. He has been pushing all of us into Awlgrip because he is also an Awlgrip Dealer. Not good when the yard's "Expert" has another agenda. Boat owners and captains are getting inferior products so he can fill his pocket. They are also using contractors up there that are from Lauderdale. The same contractors you can get for far less in another facility. There is a yacht named Continental Drifter in PB. The paint looks AWESOME and I hear she is four years old and it looks like she was just painted. I don't understand why you are having problems
Captain Paul
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:21 PM

Hi Sean, We have painted several yachts in years past with different contractors, both here and overseas. So far, no one has beat C&N Yacht Refinishing for quality, price, timeliness, etc. One of these was a 49M Feadship, which came out excellent, on time and within budget. Orange peel occurs for many different reasons. Go online to the Dupont or Awlgrip website for an explanation. Have fun!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:46 PM
If you are in that big PB yard, you may want to leave. If your boss knew that he was paying premium prices for a paint job and the yard was only paying their contractors $15/hr, he might have something to say. No wonder you are getting orange peeling! You are paying top dollar for the lowest bid contractor. Sounds like NASA. You may want to haul ass before your boss finds out.
sean
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:01 PM

Just to elaborate...Im not in WPB at the moment, but will most likely get the work done there (not necessarily by that yards in house paint team).  My boat is 3 years old and has its own issues as far as how it was painted, thusly why the paint job is so short-lived.  I've just encountered a few boats who've said they've had this issue with Awl-Grip top-coat (Matterhorn White) and the issue wasnt in preparation or application but stemmed back there being a bad batch produced at Awl-Grip...just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this and/or had good reviews of paint teams/products
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:26 PM
I talked to the largest paint contractor in Ft. Lauderdale (LMC) and he suggested DuPont as his first choice even tough it cost a little more. He said to go on YouTube and type in DuPont Marine and watch the video. I did - Amazing.
Gilana
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:33 PM

I would talk to people, not just on forums like this, but talk on the phone. Try to get some opinions from people that have no agendas (hidden or otherwise) Go to WPB, walk around the yards and look, but do not tell them you are shopping for a paint job. You will soon see who the good outfits are. While youre there go and have some "Hot Wings" at the Brass Ring Pub!! Also, our best friend runs a canvas shop there. They do unrelated work on boats but have the opportunity to see the detail that the paint guys produce. Give Kim a shout at Busch Canvas. She is helpful and might give you some fair comment. They have a web page buschcanvas.com. They have been there for 30 odd years, seen all sorts come and go... good luck!!

John Doe
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:41 AM

Research Thunderbolt in Savannah. Excellent facility, quality and prices.
junior
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:02 AM

Whatever you choose , Pro captains , Pro Managers and Pro painters always document coating applications. http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-advice/documents/coatings%20diary.pdf
Henning
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:52 AM

I would call Tung Luu at Luu's Yacht Refinishing, no question. You will be satisfied, he guaranties it. He had to spray a 115' blue hull for me  3 times due to environmental conditions causing problems, I didn't ask, he never accepted it, just re did it on his cost. He finished on his quoted price and the work and finish was excellent.

Also at this point I would use Alexseal to repaint, but no, I haven't heard of that problem with Awl Grip.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:52 AM
Can anybody else share their knowledge regarding Alex Seal paint?
junior
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 7:03 AM

Alexseal, Awlgrip...they are both good paints. The correct way to approach a paint job is to first find a Pro Applicator with the workforce , infrastructure and time to do the job...then ask him about paint systems. The workability of paint systems is different. A Pro who is fluent with Awlgrip and receives good technical support would naturally want to continue to use the Awlgrip system to avoid any unforeseen details during application . Asking the painting contractor to switch paint systems to your preference may cause troubles.
sean
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 2:56 PM

A lot of good information here that I'll be looking into..appreciate all the insight.

Just to be fair and follow up about the issues I heard about with Awl-Grip toop-coats, I have spoen to a few reps from Awl-Grip and they report that there was a bad batch of Matterhorn (as theie is from time to time with all paint companies) and they have made isolated repirations with the boats to correct the issues.  

Awl-Grip has been the only top-coat Ive had extensive experience with and Ive always been happy with it for the most part, but I am impressed with what Ive seen with Dupont.  Still looking 

yachtlk
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:47 PM

The first step in selecting a paint product is deciding what type of paint you want not what brand you want.

For years the 2 most recognizable paints were Alwgrip and Imron (Dupont).  Everybody had their favorite brand but the choice was actually based on the technology.

Alwgrip was a linear polyurethane paint which produced a higher gloss, harder finish.  It basically cured with a "clear coat" rising to the top to produce the wet look and abrasion resistance.  The problem was if you did any repairs or buffing you would wind up with a noticeable blend where the work was done because the clear was buffed away.

Imron was an acrylic urethane which produced a very good gloss without the clear coat effect. Since it was a softer paint and the pigment was consistent to the surface, it could easily be buffed or repaired without being obvious.  The gloss didn't last quite as long as Alwgrip but it could be buffed back to look like new.

Today most companies make both linear, "Alwgrip" and acrylic "Alwcraft 2000", polyurethanes as well as some hybrid combinations that claim to achieve the best of both, "Alexseal".  You need to decide which technology you want before you pick a brand. 

Sometimes a combination is best.  I have managed several paint projects where we decided to do the hull in acrylic so that the inevitable repair work would be barely noticeable and then done the topside in linear for the best gloss and durability.  It's easier to find a section to paint on the topside than it is on the hull.

When it comes to brands, Alwgrip, Dupont and Alexseal all make good products.  Alwgrip did have some issues with hazing but it could happen to any company.  How they resolve the issue is more important than the fact that it happened.

Once you get to picking a contractor, make sure you agree in writing about your expectations.  Lay out a paint schedule that will spell out what sections will be painted during each shoot.  If there is a problem, repaint that entire area.  Don't allow the area to be subdivided into smaller areas and only repaint parts.  That will give you a lot more tape lines than you originally agreed on.

Having an independent surveyor or coatings expert involved is well worth the investment considering the cost of the project.  You will have an independent voice to express your concerns and evaluate the acceptability of the finish.

Don't expect a factory paint rep to criticize a paint contractor or yard on your behalf.  They buy a lot more paint than you do and no salesman wants to piss off his best customer!

Finally, in the 20 years that I have been  dealing with paint jobs, the best and most consistent work, pricing and quality of finish has been done by PT yacht refinishing, 954 560 5410.  A painter may have his favorite brand and you can get good information from him.  A good painter can produce quality results with most products, even if it's not his favorite.

Remember, you are not looking for the lowest bidder, you are looking for the best value.

Average 5 out of 5