Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
U.S.C.G. 100 ton to Italy?
Captsky
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:17 PM

Just married a D.O.D. Contractor in Naples Italy. What capt. Lic. Agency works in Italy? I don't speak or read Italian so I don't know where to go to find out. Need help please with information. Thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:45 PM
What is your question? What is a "captain's license agency"? Are you asking if you can you use your American license on Italian yachts?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 8:33 PM
Are you ready to join the long queue of unemployed Italian yacht crew........
luc
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 9:32 PM

To be honest, I've recently seen much more unemployed Captains (not Italian) in Antibes or in Palma. I'm Italian, Captain since 1981, and never been unemployed for more than few weeks between two boats.
Captsky, what kind of License do you have?

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:43 PM

100 ton Near Coastal ticket won't do much for you internationally. On a totally private yacht it will be sufficient as long as the insurance company is good with you. An RYA Yachtmaster ticket would probably be a good thing. Check with the Italians. What is your work status anyway? Learn a few phrases in Italian and try to start with them; they will quickly switch to English rather than hear you butcher their language.  Is the girl an Italian or American DoD contractor? I'm guessing American. Some countries are very liberal about DoD/Military spouses seeking employment, some aren't, and I reckon it's getting stricter everywhere.

sean
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:01 PM

If your question is what can I do with a 100ton ticket in Italy...the answer is work on a U.S. flagged vessel that is comprabale.  Your best bet is to register with U.S. crew agencies as a U.S. ticket holder who is already over there and looking for work...you  might find some very specific boats looking for that 
CaptErik
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:35 PM

A hundred ton license isn't much over here, and less over there, the fact that you have no language skills for the area, does not help either. Your wife is working for the DOD, and I assume has the necessary Visas to work in Italy, do you have a work visa? If not you are sol, in my opinion. I also assume that you are just looking for a part time gig that is local, I think there are not many options for you. I would think that your best bet is to find work on larger yachts that are in the area, and in need of a fill in for crew that is off. I doubt you will get anything as captain and should be looking for a deckhand , mates position, but you will have to have the proper paperwork or its no dice. Just live off of your new bride, cook, clean, and hang out on the beach during the day when she works!

Average 0 out of 5