Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Deckie advice(2)
s-holman
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:41 AM

Hi Guys

Looking at coming up to Palma for the upcoming season and have a few questions:

I'll be doing my AEC and open water dive courses, I already have my STCW, yacht rating and RIB masters certificates.
What I would like to find out is if this is adequate enough, taking into account I have over 2 years working in a yacht chandlery and fabricating rigging for local yachts as well as sailing experience since a young age and a few thousand blue water miles??

I gave it a go in 09 but wasnt succesful (unfortunately fresh outta school with no work experience)

Look forward to your response

Shaun.

Henning
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 6:43 PM

You didn't say what you wanted to do though Shaun. What kind of job do you want/expect? Are you looking for yard and refit work or what?

s-holman
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 6:53 PM

Apologies, I want to follwo this through as a career hopefully something seasonal as a deckie or junior engineer with my aec. I have sailing in my blood been racing various dinghys and cats from a young age and the only place where my true passion is.
s-holman
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 6:55 PM

I plan on starting from the bottom and working my way up with yacht masters to follow soon hopefully i can do it with my aec but financially it might be a bit tight
MarineDex
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 7:36 PM

I would suggest to beg, steal and borrow the money you need to complete your Yachtmaster offshore with your experience in sailing and rigging aim to get on a sailing boat from 80 - 100ft long for the summer. Both Wally's and Swans are a good bet and are always looking for good sailing with a wide variety of skills.

Get your courses done and send your CV too me since I know a little about this seen and would be happy to pass your name around. info@marinedex.com

Best of luck !!!

s-holman
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 9:11 AM

Thats the plan, at the moment it doesnt phase me if its motor or power.
I'll send you my current CV shortly!
Shaun

Average 0 out of 5