Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yacht chef found dead
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:58 PM

Dockwalk received the following information from a fellow yacht chef:

"Swedish, long-term yacht chef Kai Rasinen was found dead October 24, 2011 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. His body is being sent for autopsy as there were no obvious causes of death.

Chef Kai was trained at the Cordon Bleu School and had worked on such yachts as M/Y Blue Moon, M/Y Parrafin, M/Y Plan B. Kai recently returned to his home in Palm Beach, Florida after a summer in New England on a 200-foot yacht.

In Kai’s own words, “As a 30-year-old, I have traveled the world extensively. Love being at sea and working on boats and meeting a lot of people from different places and cultures. I am very social, even called a bit crazy, but I always live life to the fullest. You never know when it is too late. I love spending time with friends, being around with the really important people to me and just plain old having a good time over a nice meal in good restaurant or just at my best friends villa.”

Kai was known for his love of food and sharing meals with good friends. He was a gentle soul who will be missed by all who knew him in yachting.

A memorial is being planned by friends in Lauderdale. Please contact Carrie and Ian Kurka at ckyachts@gmail.com for details."

iank
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:31 PM

As my wife and I were the first people to be contacted yesterday by the Ft Lauderdale Police. We would like anybody who knew Kai and saw him within the last 7 days to please contact us. We would like to find some kind of time line as to his untimely passing as quite obviously his family in Europe has many questions that we are unable to answer at this point in time. Please email me at: iankurka@gmail.com
Lyndon Larson
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:31 PM

My prayers to the family and crew.
scottytheyachty
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:17 AM

This is just horrible news. I have known Kai for nearly 10 years. what a great soul you are Kai Rest in Peace my friend.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:28 AM

iank wrote:
As my wife and I were the first people to be contacted yesterday by the Ft Lauderdale Police. We would like anybody who knew Kai and saw him within the last 7 days to please contact us. We would like to find some kind of time line as to his untimely passing as quite obviously his family in Europe has many questions that we are unable to answer at this point in time. Please email me at: iankurka@gmail.com

Good luck with that, I know the spot you're in. It's a tough one and one of the bummer parts about the responsibilities of the job, everyone looks to you for answers and when you don't have them, it sucks.

iank
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:19 PM

We will be having a small memorial for Kai on Sunday at 1100 at the Dania Beach Pier. Please feel free to bring a few flowers to throw and a drink of sorts to celebrate his life
Capt Edward P
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:23 AM

What a great shame, and details seem to be a bit vauge, hopefully this thread will be updated with the details of his death and whether it was natural or something else. I am thinking of Ludovic here off Cheetah Moon in SXM. Yours ' aye Cap'n Ed (hideousfrance.com)

Average 0 out of 5