Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
M/Y Final Act ablaze
Janine
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 6:45 PM

According to a blog by Capt. Aaron D. Pufal, M/Y Final Act caught fire off the coast of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and within 90 seconds of seeing smoke, the vessel was fully engulfed in flames. By the time Capt. Aaron was able to get his vessel close enough to Final Act, all decks were on fire. Capt. Aaron dropped a liferaft and was able to rescue all five people (and two dogs) aboard the burning vessel.  

According to Capt. Aaron, although the captain suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation, all those rescued were in good shape, save for shock. The rescued passengers were then dropped off at Skull Creek Marina.

The story of M/Y Final Act, along with the photos and video, are just another reminder that proper training is paramount and certainly can save lives.

View the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxTwRRFaKMI&feature=player_embedded

View Capt. Aaron's blog here: http://yachtcaptainblog.com/2011/10/motor-yacht-final-act-burns-and-sinks/

Brian Sheridan
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:33 PM

Your are right! "Only you can prevent Yacht Fire!"
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:00 PM

Wow, if it went up like that in under 3 minutes... I guess there was no automatic fire warning or extinguishing system for the engine room. Must have been some very bad selection of construction and appointment materials as well for it to burn so hard and fast. As fast as it was I'd suspect arson, but with the family onboard? Most people don't have the chutzpah to pull that kind of move, but it sure would help their claim....

I'm amazed they would be allowed to build a yacht that would burn that rapidly, there had to be fuel spraying around in the engine room all the way to the end or something. I've had fires onboard before, but nothing that grew near that fast typically due to fire resistant/retardant materials. There has to be several "fails" involved in this.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:31 PM
"As fast as it was I'd suspect arson, but with the family onboard? Most people don't have the chutzpah to pull that kind of move, but it sure would help their claim...." Henning....Are you serious that you would post this kind of a statement without ANY FACTS! How irresponsible and grossly unfair. Vultures and hyenas, hanging around for the first bite and we will watch how many more will jump in here with more unfounded accusations.... what goes around, comes around
Henning
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:23 AM

Anonymous wrote:
"As fast as it was I'd suspect arson, but with the family onboard? Most people don't have the chutzpah to pull that kind of move, but it sure would help their claim...." Henning....Are you serious that you would post this kind of a statement without ANY FACTS! How irresponsible and grossly unfair. Vultures and hyenas, hanging around for the first bite and we will watch how many more will jump in here with more unfounded accusations.... what goes around, comes around

You seem to lack reading comprehension skills as well as a name. I said the speed was so fast as to make it suspicious, but the surrounding circumstances made it extremely unlikely. If you believe that the insurance company does not have the exact same thoughts already that I did, you would be sorely mistaken.

Capt Edward P
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:26 AM

There have been too many fires this year involving yachts, some of which have taken out other yachts in marinas...... Yours 'aye Cap'n Ed (hideousfrance.com)
Truth
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 7:28 PM

You are guilty of several misguided statements but the one that is insane is your assertion that the materials chosen to build the boat might somehow be the wrong types for this type of fire to occur? How incredibly dense and ignorant of the sportfishing industry. What do you think these vessels (almost unilaterally) are made out of? Polymers. Powered by diesel engines. Implying that this was started for an insurance claim is just as ridiculous as every other ignorant thing in your post. Oh, and the Captain of the "Final Act"? He has a beautiful wife and son. Show some respect and don't talk unless the grownups are there to monitor your blatherings.
benjaminfisher
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:43 PM

It seems that the captain acted in a professional manner in assuring the safety of all aboard by getting everyone into the life raft in such a timely manner. Kudos. It is great to know there are others that are around to assist another vessel in need. Hearing the outcome I think it was the best for the circumstances.
Minimise Fire Risks
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:45 PM

Can we all in this Superyacht Arena, discuss Minimising Fire Risks... It may save a vessel more so save lives. David Hill Yacht Protect Servces Ltd

Average 0.5 out of 5