Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Mission Impossible?
Bob
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:08 AM

I'm ready to start a 3rd career after time in IT and ministry fields. What are the chances that a bright, fit and hardworking 45 yr old can lift off with just a few yacht courses? Jobs seem scarce now and I have to imagine that it will be near impossible for me at my age. However, I REALLY want to go after my dream anyway!! How crazy is this?
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:15 PM

Bob wrote:
I'm ready to start a 3rd career after time in IT and ministry fields. What are the chances that a bright, fit and hardworking 45 yr old can lift off with just a few yacht courses? Jobs seem scarce now and I have to imagine that it will be near impossible for me at my age. However, I REALLY want to go after my dream anyway!! How crazy is this?

You're nuttier than a wombat, but what the hell, if you're bright and are willing to work hard and wait for the position  for you to show up, there is a chance to make it. It's a lot harder to start "Green" after about 35 (most of your job competition will be <25), but not impossible. There are some though that will prefer the maturity of an older hand with drive, smarts and experience in life.

Good luck.

CaptErik
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:33 AM

Crazy! As stated, tough time in the business, but add to that, no experience, and of a higher age. Why hire you when they can get a younger , more experienced. No matter that you say you are fit, you are 45 and the odds of problems in a physical job are higher. Why is this your dream? Watched the boats go down the intracoastal? Its a lot more work than people realize.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:41 AM

CaptErik wrote:
Crazy! As stated, tough time in the business, but add to that, no experience, and of a higher age. Why hire you when they can get a younger , more experienced. No matter that you say you are fit, you are 45 and the odds of problems in a physical job are higher. Why is this your dream? Watched the boats go down the intracoastal? Its a lot more work than people realize.

Can't argue with a word there. I've had 65 year old ABs before who did their job great, but they had the benefit of the experience while young and working hard to be able to buffer against age the knowledge of working smart. Your disadvantage is you lack that knowledge base. If you're really sharp though, it does not take long to pick up under good leadership. You need a very special position to make it work, and that may not come around for years. Can you wait that long? You may need to start with day working for a few years.

Capt Edward P
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:55 AM

Bob, you're madder than a box of frogs. But don't let this stop you, good luck ! However be aware that you're gonna be up against alot of good looking boys and gals and even though I am your age, I don't look half-as-good as them. See other posts in Dockwalk about hiring beautiful people (PEARL I think) You don't mention whether you already have any qualifications such as MCA Yachtmaster - YOU WILL FIND PEOPLE OF 22 with this qualification, and they will be doing daywork cleaning. They also have the miles. I know this because I have been with them myself. Other than this, make sure your are well-shaved, immaculately dressed in the same clothes they wear, tidy,new shoes, nails clean, teeth fixed-up, no bad breath, no body-odour, no tattos visible and go for it. Make sure that people can compare you on a like for like basis visually, as this counts at the agency and when the captain has the applications in front of him. A good, well taken photo, a good smile, not like a monkey's will help. Make sure you have done Powerboat Level 1 and 2 so you don't have to be trained by the boat. Fleet Rescue would be an advantage to get "one over" on the youngies. VHF license would be beneficial. All this can be done at somewhere like UKSA, Cowes, although you don't state where you are and other institutes are available. STCW95 of course. I note you have been in the IT field and this can be useful sorting out IT issues for guests every week especially when they cannot get into their SBS back at the office, so definitely major on this point in your CV and interviews. Good luck, let us know how it goes. .......... Yours 'aye Cap'n Ed (hideousfrance.com)

Average 0 out of 5