Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Ripped off
Rafo1981
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 1:25 AM

This is a warning to all crew in Ft. Lauderdale and Newport R.I. I currently am working on a non-live-aboard boat in Ft Lauderdale and, therefore, have the unfortunate need for a car and apartment. Last August when my 17 year old VW needed to go in the shop I needed some cheap wheels for a couple of days while she was being repaired. I had rented a scooter from [name removed by moderator] earlier in the summer while I was in Newport with my wife and we had a good time, except for the fact that the cheap chinese scooter that we got had a problem with it's brakes that caused the scooter to run inefficiently with the brakes slightly on all the time. Over all, my experience was good and the company offered to fill the tank for me at no cost due to the problems with the bike. Now back to Ft. Lauderdale and my lack of wheels. I rented a scooter for 1 week and signed the paperwork. After a couple more days, I decided that it would be great if, after we got my car back, I still had two sets of wheels for awhile so my wife could use the car. I called  [name removed by moderator] and asked to extend the contract for a month and move up to a 150cc bike. No problem, they dropped the bike off and told me everything had been taken care of. After the original week had expired I got a call from the delievery/pick-up driver telling me that I had to turn in the scooter because my week was up. ??? I figured that there was a problem and my wishes had not been conveyed for keeping the scooter longer, so, not wanting to have any problems. I went ahead and turned the scooter in after the week was up. A couple of days later I saw on my bank account online that  [name removed by moderator] thought it would be good to go ahead and charge me for one month, an added 360 dollars. I called and spoke with [name removed by moderator] , the owner, several times trying to clear up the confusion and he even conceded that the money should be returned and he would "call me back when it went through." I never got a call back and after repeated attempts of contacting the company they have refused to return the 360 dollars to me. I filed a fraud protection claim with my bank, but  [name removed by moderator] lied on the forms they sent him saying that I did keep the scooter for one month, so they don't want to refund my money back. I'm kind of out of options, and its basically his word against mine. He has gotten away with charging me with a service he never provided and has conveniently avoided any contact with me. I guess this is how  [name removed by moderator] does business. Furthermore, the scooters they rent are of the lowest quality. The second bike they gave me had no functioning fuel gauge and it felt like it was going to fall apart above 30 mph. I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau. I wonder, what other recourses do I have?

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 4:01 AM
Small claims court: http://www.browardclerk.org/bccoc2/faqcountycivil.aspx Once a claim is filed, most people settle. If not, you proceed with the complaint. No lawyers needed. No jury. Just you, the judge, and the facts.
Janine
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 3:53 PM

Please review the Dockwalk.com forum guidelines. Forums are not to be used to name and shame companies or people. Thank you

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=22352

Dexter
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:14 PM

Yes, I had the same situation in Fort Lauderdale. I had to make a fraud claim with my credit card company, too, and I got the money back.

I guess just don't go for the cheapest yachty scooter rental place.
Does anyone have any alternatives?

Average 0 out of 5