Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Taking Shallow to New Depths!
MarkIanThompson
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 12:03 PM

I was just searching through the recent job posts when I came across a deckhand position directing me to apply at www.pearlpersonnel.com. Nothing especially different there you might think, until I followed the link and was greeted with the tag line "Placing Beautiful People".

It appears that this new "crew agency" will help you to find a job, but only if you're good looking enough.

We all know that our industry is pretty superficial at times and that ageism and discrimination are widespread and generally accepted. Although it's not one of the greatest qualities of our modern culture, it is unfortunately just a fact of life.

If I owned a superyacht I doubt I would complain if my crew all looked like models. But I might have something to say if they couldn't do their jobs. No matter how pretty they were to look at.
I think we will be on very dangerous ground if quality of service, professionalism and experience start coming second to looks.

What do you all think on the subject? Would you like to work on boat that had this sort of hiring policy? Or would you rather know that your colleagues were hired because they were the best at their jobs?

erin
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:19 AM

Yacht crew are in charge of the actualization of perfection for the super elite.
Flawlessness in service and appearance are definitely part of this industry, just as part of living elite is being able to demand, and set, unrealistic expectations.

junior
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:52 AM

The shallow characters in the yachting industry are overwhelmingly Crew agents, Charter Brokers and Yacht skippers. They use beauty to embellish their own image. As for Owners, they made their fortune by hiring brains over beauty. I have never in a lifetime of working yachts had an owner comment on the beauty or lack of beauty of my crew. Never. Your image as a yacht crew should be socially acceptable, alert, deliberate, well spoken and robust.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:28 PM
Go to the website that boasts this beauty click on the photos at Monaco....you have nothing to worry about unless you are disfigured or plain buck ugly!!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:49 PM
Agreed with Junior, and BTW, if I were a yacht owner's wife, I sure wouldn't want to be surrounded by a bunch of gorgeous models.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:51 PM
I only hire from the IBTC... don't have to worry about them getting caught in the machinery.
Captain Brian
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:10 PM

Oh yeah, I understand this mindset all too well. The boat I run---I know exactly how the Mrs will react to anyone I hire regardless of their talent or experience. If she doesn't find them very pleasant to look at, they're gone, as simple as that. And no beating around the bushes either. She'd never say it to anyone but me, but she has no problem pulling me aside and explaining the 'problem'.
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:26 PM

MarkIanThompson wrote:
I was just searching through the recent job posts when I came across a deckhand position directing me to apply at www.pearlpersonnel.com. Nothing especially different there you might think, until I followed the link and was greeted with the tag line "Placing Beautiful People".

It appears that this new "crew agency" will help you to find a job, but only if you're good looking enough.

We all know that our industry is pretty superficial at times and that ageism and discrimination are widespread and generally accepted. Although it's not one of the greatest qualities of our modern culture, it is unfortunately just a fact of life.

If I owned a superyacht I doubt I would complain if my crew all looked like models. But I might have something to say if they couldn't do their jobs. No matter how pretty they were to look at.
I think we will be on very dangerous ground if quality of service, professionalism and experience start coming second to looks.

What do you all think on the subject? Would you like to work on boat that had this sort of hiring policy? Or would you rather know that your colleagues were hired because they were the best at their jobs?

There is an inference here though that good looking people can't be good at their jobs. That is prejudicial and discriminatory in itself. Lets face it, most of the crew positions don't exactly involve rocket science, and I see a lot of butt a$$ ugly captains and engineers out there. The fact is that there are enough equally qualified candidates to choose from in this industry that you can "pick for beauty" and not have to sacrifice quality.

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:30 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Agreed with Junior, and BTW, if I were a yacht owner's wife, I sure wouldn't want to be surrounded by a bunch of gorgeous models.

Well, there are other yacht owner's wives who hold a different opinion, I've met a couple, some of them were gorgeous models themselves. They seem to gravitate towards husbands with yachts and such.

yellowcat
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:41 AM

in my job, i have to deal with similar constraints. Image is a package deal and one has to find the factor that will make each staff to connect with the clientèle. Part of the advertising of the business is to recognize the market segment and hire the staff acordingly. Good looks alone doesn't do it, but absolute cleanness and competence in all aspects of the job does it. The last thing i would like on a boat is a client that rents for the wrong reasons, the design of the yacht and the staff will stage the business curiculum. The boomers will be around for some interesting staff hires.
Amy
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:59 AM

I came across this same crew agency aswell and I agree with you... I think it is in bad taste.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:27 AM
I hope the beautiful people are prepared to work hard and aren't afraid to get dirty or break a nail or two!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:06 AM
Think about it, we are expected to have a picture of ourselves on our resumes/cv's. Yacht crew are not models or actors, so why does it matter what we look like. We are suppose to be professionals in our field and should be hired as such. We spend years accumulating sea time/experience and spend thousands in classes for licences. Why should it be expected to paste our photos on our resumes? Laws are suppose to protect us (in most countries) from discrimination of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc...so why are we expected to have a picture on our resumes so "they know what we look like before they even read what is below the photo?" We are not in the biz for our looks. We are professionals in our field and should not be discriminated for our weight, hair color, citizenship, smoker/non-smoker, alcohol consumption, tattoos/ visible or not, etc.....our resume are suppose to reflect our work history and performances. If we don't "look the part," we can be dismissed from the pile before the "boss" reads the rest of our resume. It's a small industry, so I suggest you hit the gym and go for botox before you put your photo on your professional resume. We work in a very shallow and superficial industry. Good Luck Britches!!
Mary Beth Lawton Johnson
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:39 AM

Beauty is only skin deep where there is an industry that only values beauty over brains. Your looks will not last forever, so you had better think of something to back it up once it goes. Why even use the beauty to get a job if you have brains to begin with? Your brains should be the crowning achievement and your beauty just a side benefit. When it come to yachting, with 21 years under my belt, I highly suggest that yacht crew concentrate on safety, responsibility and do their jobs accurately with pride. Your beauty inside is what counts in my book, not the outside. Even if you are so beautiful, in a beautiful industry, full of perfect people, what will save your life when it turns ugly? Your brains or your beauty? Chef Mary Beth Lawton Johnson, CEPC, CCC yes I sometimes read my competition,..... This needed answering sorely.
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:34 AM

Anonymous wrote:
 We are professionals in our field and should not be discriminated for our weight, hair color, citizenship, smoker/non-smoker, alcohol consumption, tattoos/ visible or not, etc.....our resume are suppose to reflect our work history and performances. If we don't "look the part," we can be dismissed from the pile before the "boss" reads the rest of our resume. It's a small industry, so I suggest you hit the gym and go for botox before you put your photo on your professional resume. We work in a very shallow and superficial industry. Good Luck Britches!!

Weight, most definitely I must discriminate for on a boat. If you can't fit into your working space, you can't work, I can't hire you. Hair color, could care less. Citizenship, sure, will you be eligible to work? Smoker/non Smoker, I don't care but if the owner does... Alcohol!!! This is my biggie. I do not run a dry boat, I expect people to act responsibly all on their own. Drunks cause me absolutely nothing but headaches. They never do their work, they stink like booze and stink up the whole crew quarters, they constantly cause discord among the crew because they have to pick up the drunkard's slack, and drunks are always miserable human beings complaining all the time, and with very few exceptions, hospital and legal expenses are often incurred by the boat over their actions. Wanna have a drink or two in the evening, no worries. Wanna get pissed every night and stagger on the boat all nice and loud? Pack your things. Tattoos, again, that's something I leave as owner's prerogative.

As far as the pic on the resume, I use it mostly to remember the interview. When you interview 100+ people in 2 weeks, it's hard for me to keep track by names, but I never forget a face.

I've been in the industry for over 20 years, and in that time I have seen a lot of ugly and overweight people working, so the situation is not as dire as is being made out. In fact, over all I'd say this industry is maybe 30% "beautiful people" and even then the standard of "beauty" is not the same as the GQ or ELLE standard of beauty. What I find the rest of us have going for us that gets us work is a good sense of humor. You can be as ugly and disfigured as Quasimodo and gain a berth if you can do the job and make people laugh through the day.

The thing about this industry is that it's not like a regular job where you go home separately. You're in close quarters 24/7, so you need to have more going for you than just the ability to do your job. You need to be a pleasant enjoyable person to be around as well.

Have you asked yourself "Why would someone want to be around me?" In order to really be able to live this life, you need to have 2 or 3 good reasons besides "I can do my job expertly" because that just isn't enough. Trust that there are others who can do the job expertly as well. Consider that in the non work hours you will still be living close quarters with the exact same group of people. What do you bring to the social dynamic? This is a key issue I try to discern in an interview, because to me, it's more important than if you know your job. Hell, I can teach you your job easy enough. There's not a damn job on the boat I don't know. What I cannot teach a person is how to be a pleasant human being.

The first thing I'm looking for when interviewing is the expression on the persons face as they approach the boat. "Are they smiling?" Miserable non smiling people make crappy crew mates no matter how skilled or beautiful. Misery loves company and it's highly infectious.

Beauty is as much about attitude as it is appearance. If you're lacking in the appearance, work on your attitude. If you have a good attitude, you will work and you will be remembered and referred. This also goes for when you're out. Don't get drunk and sit and complain, catch a buzz and tell jokes instead.

You'll notice that the ones who persistently year after year complain that they can't get work and they blame this group or that person or those people.... They really don't get that the reason they don't get hired is because they are miserable human beings that nobody wants to be stuck with 24/7 in close quarters.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:42 AM

MarkIanThompson wrote:

Oh, BTW, out of curiosity, did you sign up with this crew agency?

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:54 AM

Mary Beth Lawton Johnson wrote:
Beauty is only skin deep where there is an industry that only values beauty over brains. Your looks will not last forever, so you had better think of something to back it up once it goes. Why even use the beauty to get a job if you have brains to begin with? Your brains should be the crowning achievement and your beauty just a side benefit. When it come to yachting, with 21 years under my belt, I highly suggest that yacht crew concentrate on safety, responsibility and do their jobs accurately with pride. Your beauty inside is what counts in my book, not the outside. Even if you are so beautiful, in a beautiful industry, full of perfect people, what will save your life when it turns ugly? Your brains or your beauty? Chef Mary Beth Lawton Johnson, CEPC, CCC yes I sometimes read my competition,..... This needed answering sorely.

Neither your beauty nor you brains are an "achievement", they are a gift. Your personality is your achievement, and many people in this industry are under achievers in that regard.

Work hard, listen to directions, ask questions BEFORE you do something when unsure and be a pleasant person. That's what I look for. If you're a beauty, that is a bonus. OTOH, there is no shame in being beautiful either, and if you were given that gift, use it to its full advantage. However, beauty will not keep a job, you still need to be willing and able to be taught the job at hand and you have to be pleasant to be around after the "new" of looking at your beauty wears off

What I find rather funny about this thread is it was started by a person whose avatar at least shows a person who can still apply even at the "beautiful people" site, and has turned into a diatribe of discrimination against beautiful people.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:55 AM

Amy wrote:
I came across this same crew agency as well and I agree with you... I think it is in bad taste.

Did you sign up?

Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:19 AM

It's a sad fact that more successful wealthy people tend to look after themselves better, eat better, and smoke less, and so look better, in my view and experience. Plus they have the confidence that can only come of overcharging us for oil and gas, mobile phones or setting up a new toxic hedgefund with investors' money, which happens to go into a new yacht costing $30m - all in a monopolistic situation. Consequently they can have a better life than many and this can include endless holidays stabbing at their carphones in a non-stressed situation. In such a gilded and gifted lifestyle they can look healthier than many, so be attractive to others in the same trade or profession, and so be wanting to wanting to surround themselves with beautiful people too. Just go and look at the paying beaches of Saint Tropez (in summer)if you do not believe me. Obviously as others have written, looks are not everything, so a beautiful crewperson who cannot wash,polish,clean,serve,fend-off, coil warps, service the diesels, fix the dishwasher, clean the fridge, antifoul, change anode studs etc is not required, but it would seem that there is a demand for beautiful people who CAN do their job properly. Hence this Agency filling a gap. Up to individuals to decide if they are good looking enough to apply ! Remember to decide whether you want to soar with the eagles, or gobble with the turkeys. Yours'aye Cap'n Ed hideousfrance.com
SwedishElsa
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:15 AM

So you mean, I can never apply for a job??
 (Never been in the industry before, but if someone wants to hire me for the next summer, Im more than intrested!