Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
TEAM/COUPLE
emma
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:50 PM

Hi everyone!

I wondering if someone has any experience with seeking job in a team or as a couple.I know it's hard, but we work really good together and have been a couple for 4 years.

I have worked many years in the restaurant and hospitality industry, at many exlusive restaurants (guide michelins and other fine dining) ,I have a good wine knowledge and I am extremly service minded and I knoe how to work hard under pressure and still remaining a very good standard
. My partner has worked for at many of the worlds best restaurant in the world. Mathias Dalhlgren in Stockholm, Gordon Ramsey 3 star London, sous chef for almost 2 years at Europe's 5th best restaurant  Le Canard and we have also work together sometimes and we are a very professional as a team!
 I also know that "everybody says that bla bla " but we really are!
But is it even possible for us to daywork as a team and show  that we are professional?

Advice, what our odds in the industry? Anything you can help us out with

We are going to antibes on wed. 19th of october, we know it a bit off season or late, but we will give it a a try anyway.

thanks!

emma

ZipZap
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:42 PM

Emma if you are both new to the industry you are prob going to have to accept that you will work apart to start with. You need to decide whos job path you are going to follow and be honest when going to interviews, the fact you have been together for 4 years will weigh in your faviour. Look at it from the Captains perspective , a couple both new to the industry is alot of risk for him to take full time. It took about 4 months for me and my girl friend to get a job together and she had to take a step backwards from her last job. Best of luck to you both.
Henning
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:45 AM

ZipZap wrote:
Emma if you are both new to the industry you are prob going to have to accept that you will work apart to start with. You need to decide whos job path you are going to follow and be honest when going to interviews, the fact you have been together for 4 years will weigh in your faviour. Look at it from the Captains perspective , a couple both new to the industry is alot of risk for him to take full time. It took about 4 months for me and my girl friend to get a job together and she had to take a step backwards from her last job. Best of luck to you both.

It's really hit and miss. Some owners/captains will not have a team and crew "fraternization" leads to termination. Sometimes this is out of paranoia, most of those people are "crooks" for a living. I find dishonest people are the ones that are always worried about how they could get ripped off. Some won't because they derive joy from your misery, it's part of their power trip. RUN AWAY... Some won't because they have had enough nightmare squabbles on board and know that when even a green deck/stew couple are having issues, it drives down the moral of everyone on board including the guests and they want to avoid that.

Some owners/captains will only hire couples because of bunking issues, this is typically on boats <120'. Some look for them (with a 4 year history you're in good shape on this) with some history together because they want their crew to have a happy fulfilled life and couples tend to go out and party less than singles and are typically more happy/pleasant to be around.

Most of the time though they hire because of their needs. They just need to replace one girl/guy, and that's all they have bunks for. The problem arises if you have another male and female who are not a couple and you have 2 crew cabins for 4 people. You may very well end up sleeping in separate cabins which makes the "couple" thing kinda tricky and stressful.

With all that said, there another pile of issues involved in this and there's no really good way to angle for a team spot. Many ads will say what they do or don't want.

If you really want to try as a couple, market yourselves in the 90'-120' boat range unless you partner is a captain, which I'm assuming he's not, then you can market in the <90' boats where couples are more of a norm because there is only one crew berth.

Most of the agencies will let you list as "team or solo", and I would suggest you choose that option.

Good luck

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:44 AM
My friend are I are looking to start in Miami next year, what's the likelihood of us getting on the same boat as relativity green stews? ie: we will have 5 years + hospo experience, STCW, 5 day stew course and some daywork... Any advice?

Average 0 out of 5