Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Options From Tortola?
louwstrydom
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:13 PM

Hi all, I've kept a keen eye on the posts and comments here on Dockwalk. I too am a "newbie" in the industry, looking to get started. I will be heading over to the Caribbean on a delivery yacht and should arrive in Tortola around mid Nov. Where, in your opinion, would be the best place to go from there? I have had mixed feedback from friends and contacts in the industry and would like to get a few thoughts/ideas from a bigger resource pool. Any and all sorts of work(permanent and partime)/day work would be welcome. I am not fussy or picky... Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated. L
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:52 PM
if you have done the yacht master, find a cute girl friend who can cook a bit and head to sunsail/moorings and find a small charter boat and learn how to sail, navigate, anchor, dock, charter, maintain, manage and run a boat in a fairly easy consequence free small group of islands. Start your career. beats learning to chamois or clean a giga yacht as a boat or house n$gg$a.

junior
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:52 AM

That is first class advice from anon. Spend a year or two working the small yachts with sunsail or whatever and you will rapidly develop into a street smart yacht captain , with important geographic and logistics experience. . It could take 10 years or more before a marina bound , bar stood warming gin palace janitor accumulates the knowledge you will gain. Your resume will be very competitive when a bigger boat comes along. The Gin Palace gang will be forced to bunker down wobbly kneed, flashing their paper tickets when going toe to toe against you. .
captbobvi
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 11:07 PM

Your best bet if you are looking to continue working on big yachts would be to make the rounds at the Yacht Haven Grande Marina on St. Thomas.  Check the bulletin boards at Fat Turtle and the other crew-frequented restaurants at the marina and also Crown Bay Marina. Not a lot of opportunities in the BVI unless you want to be on smaller day-boats.  The yachting Mecca is St. Maarten during season with lots of opportunities.  If I'm there, I will hep you with some intros.

good luck.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:13 AM
Don't forget to check the online job sites. Crew4Crew and AllYachtJobs.com Good luck and just hang in there
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:35 AM
Best advice, leave Tortola. Go to St. Marrten, or St. Thomas. BVI have small boats and tough work laws. Good luck.
gareth.griggs
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:30 AM

hey mate, i did the same trip from CT to tortola delivery on a cat, when you get there your going to be given 3/4 days max, i was 1 of 2 in a group of 8 crossing crew who was told to leave the next day (luck of the draw) the immigration there are harsh, I got on a fairy to st thomas and spent a week there before flying into ft lauderdale. Worked well for me as got a job through dayworking and flew to the med to the boat Try the islands whilst you there makes sense, then head to florida if you have no luck, Try not follow the masses.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:40 PM
St Maarten has not had a boat show in 2 years. So the boats are showing up les and less. Go to Ft. Lauderdale

Average 0 out of 5