Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Plan B
Fifi
Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 11:20 AM

So, Im in Antibes at the moment, a few of us were slightly mislead into thinking it was a good time to come out for jobs because we could get a crossing to the Carribean, however, there isn't much to go around. I've done all the agencies and been dockwalking and networking with not much progress. I'm still trying my hardest and staying positive, but here's the thing: What if it get to November and all the boats are gone and I have nothing? I'm British so I need a B1/B2 visa before I look for work in the Caribbean, but I was thinking about the Bahamas? Since all I need is a return ticket. Is this a good idea? Will there be boats there or will they all be in FT Lauderdale and Caribbean? I'm new and looking for my first job so need some advice. Also, I've looked into visas and would an ESTA be just as good as a B1/B2? It sounds easier to get without a job lined up. Any help would be great!
junior
Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:33 PM

Dont know much about stinkpot cycles but sailors are all in St Tropez this week. After St Tropez sailors typically migrate to Palma for a week or month of preparation, then they set off for Antigua. Mid November to Mid December is crossing time for sailors.. Suggest you swing by Palma and on your way stop by the US embassy in Barcelona and pick up your visa. When in Palma if you feel that full time paid positions are not available , simply hop a ride and cross for free. You End up in Antigua...a perfectly pleasant place with many decent jobs every season. Also remember the Altlantic Rally for cruisers. Not a bad way to free ride across . http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/
Fifi
Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:16 PM

Thank you for the advice that really helps! I was thinking about going to St Tropez because nobody here is going there so less competition with jobs. Are most people willing to let you cross for free? I was wondering to get my visa do people sometimes offer to pay for their own visa and cross for free if the boat helps you get the visa with a letter of employment? It seems a tricky thing to get around..
junior
Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:41 PM

The reason you go to St Tropez during regatta time is to network. Its really important to have your face known. Perhaps there are no jobs in St Tropez..who cares ...you just had a good laugh and made a dozen valuable connections who you will undoubtedly run into in the future. These connections are your most valuable asset. To be successful as an International High Plains Drifter you must know everybody , everywhere. Never sit still...always be moving out.
rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:46 PM

Fifi,

Palma seems to be the place to be at this time??

Five Star CrewSEPT 30 - 3xSTEWARDESS - PALMA
Chief stewardess , Stewardess and Junior Stewardess needed for 46m Private Motor Yacht ASAP. We r in Palma; pls contact me at m_stawicka@o2.pl

Five Star CrewSEPT 30 - JUNIOR STEW - PALMA
Junior stew wanted for 55m Feadship in Palma. Please email me at liezeltheron3@gmail.com

http://allyachtjobs.com/index.php?post_id=4090

Good Luck,

Rod

yachtone
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Fifi, whilst highly desirable a B1/B2 is only necessary for the USA, and in the Caribbean the US Virgin Islands, many yachts do the Caribbean season and avoid US territory because of the problems it creates with multinational crew, the Bahamas however are only 40 miles from Florida and virtually all yachts operating in the Bahamas will be visiting, if not based in, the USA.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:00 PM
Try http://AllYachtJobs.com They have jobs galore.
emma
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:23 PM

Hi Fifi!
I am going to Antibes next week to look for some work and I am wondering what did you do? Was it all dead there, no  daywork either?

emma

Average 0 out of 5