Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
7 day yacht menu tips
chiko_roll
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 1:18 PM

so to even register with certain agencies you need to prepare a 7 day sample menu. i've been preparing one for awhile but then realised perhaps the layout is not right. its a template that comes with ms office 2007. basically just includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack categories for mon-friday. in the dinner category would i be expected to put a entree, main and dessert or would one dish suffice? after all they might only want to see it to see what your about and what style of food you like to prepare. i often keep in mind when planning it that some ingredients in the plan mightnt be available for whatever reason anyway. any thoughts on what to do with this plan?
junior
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 2:43 PM

Im just a sailor..best if a real yacht chef passes down tips for crew agent forms.. As for what to serve, From a sailors perspective, I see a few dishes that are always hits with the guests. Cold Gazpacho on a hot summers day, people grow tired of salads and while you are at it practise your Spanish tortilla recipe. When people come to the coast for a boat trip they fantasize about seafood. Mussels store better that fresh fish and give a good bang for the buck in the Mediterranean. Lobsters also store well. Summer time fresh fruit salads are always popular.
Nath
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 2:46 PM

What i do with my menu plans is put down what ever i want to serve & have cooked on a charter if i was given free range to do so. i write down amuse,entree,main & dessert for each evening. if you wish to do a big banquet on one of those nights, then incorporate that in your plan. I wouldnt stress too much about. If you want to serve a chiko roll ...write it down!! . make sure you add chicken salt !yumm ha
MarineDex
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 5:55 PM

I always thought this was a little strange; the idea of supplying menus with CVs how does a chef telling what he going to relate to what the owner wants?

I mean I worked for one owner that ate everyday more or less the same thing every day for lunch.

•     Tomato Mozzarella and basil
  •     Ham and Melon
  •     Salad with either lemon chicken, balsamic chicken, beef ( only when mad cow wasn't hitting somewhere in the world)
  •     Fresh Fruit
  •     6 cans of diet coke and 2 coffee's

I think that anyone with high quality chef training can cook anything the owner asks for or amazing special meals depending on what is in season. So for me the important thing to remember when looking at chef CVs is the person, experience and how they present themselves, not what they could have copied out of a cook book. Then usual I get them to actually cook a really nice lunch for the crew; from the way that they organise themselves in the kitchen especially if it is on a sailing boat, to the way that they present the food and time management is the way to judge if they are going to survive on board for the summer or longer.

SP
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:32 PM

A basic template is good for crew agencies to see what you put together - Breakfast/Lunch/Snack/Cocktail&App's/Dinner(Soup/Salad,Entree,Sides,Dessert) - although it's rare that anyone eats all that food except very active owners/guests! Rather than a fixed menu - I prepare Menu Choices for each category based on owner/guest preferences, recent menus and new recipes I'd like to make. This way I am free to mix it up depending on availability, time, mood, weather, etc... MarineDex: Even with the same ingredients there are dozens of ways to put them together!
Malcy
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:18 PM

Check out my popular book The Marine Cookery Bible, which provides aspirational or existing yacht chefs with some really diverse menu plans. The menus are totally 'today' from existing yacht and superyacht chefs working the Med and Carib. The book is available on Amazon.com, Kindle on Amazon.co or .co.uk. Signed copies available via my website www.essentialmarinecookery.com - VBR Malcy
Chef Peter
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:22 PM

Menu writing is certainly an art and if you go by the preference sheets and then go out a little on a tangent, like Marinedex said to have general things in stock and then mold them to fit what the situation is right for based on what the guests want. Get out there and meet your guests, talk with them, and do not let anyone stand in your way to gather info. There is one position in particular on a yacht that loves to step in the way, go around them.
Chef Peter
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:54 PM

Check out my new book called; Chef Peter Ziegelmeier's Dreams of A Yacht Chef - Food For Thought, it has a nice menu section to get the creative juices rolling....this book will give you all you need to get going! Available end of April 2012- on Xlibris.com or Amazon.com or get it signed through me you can purchase using pay pal at opistolpete@yahoo.com
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:49 PM
Does anyone have experience of this guys food? Or what is portrayed as food?
Henning_1
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:40 PM

When laying out your sample/demo menu to go with you CV, be complete as practicable so go head and name the sides, and even the wine pairings if you can.

Average 5 out of 5