Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Anonymous posting and no private messages on the forum?
UKEngineer
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:41 PM

This seems like a basic free-for-all forum. We cannot private message one another and we cannot participate in conversation well with there being so many people expressing their views anonymously. Personally, I think the dockwalk site is good, but needs polishing and the building of a forum full of the cream of the industry rather than the current dross will help dockwalks reputation. Until then this forum is going to be frequented by many people amoung the good apples who are too embarrassed, frightened or concerned about what their views will do to their reputations hence their continual posting anonymously.
junior
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:40 PM

Yup..anonymous drive by posting is little more than graffiti and shouldn't be permitted.
UKEngineer
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:11 AM

Perhaps we should get a group together to lobby the dockwalk congress for a change in legislation.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:15 AM
Anonymity is the nice thing about Dockwalks forums as you are able to speak your mind without being judged by others. I believe those people who think they are gods gift to this industry with their comments shouldn't be permitted....not mentioning anyone in particular....
junior
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 11:32 AM

Anonymity allows the poster to use their mouths before they use their brain. Whispers in the dark. There should be no such thing as anonymous. Many threads are so full of anonymous posts that you cant figure out who said what and everything spins out of context. If you must remain anonymous because of boat rules you should be Anonymous One...or anonymous TWO... or an pen name like Fingers or PooPoo La rue.
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 1:50 PM

Quite right,

ju noir has a certain je ne sais quoi...

and even sounds a little anon a mouse

Janine
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 3:46 PM

Due to solicitation issues, Dockwalk.com members are only permitted to private message friends. If you would like to send a private message to a Dockwalk.com member not currently on your "friends" list, please send them a friend request and, if accepted, you can then begin to private message.

John Doe
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 5:28 PM

I now exist anonymously as John Doe.
ratpack
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 8:47 PM

I hate anonymous postings and agree with you all that it allows people to speak without engaging their brains. However - there is one huge issue I see with this. A while ago I read a posting by an anon who defended his need to post anonymously due to a confidentiality clause in his contract - and we have all signed those haven't we.
ratpack
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 8:50 PM

Actually - I just had an idea. how about the CREATOR of the post can choose if anon replies are allowed or not? If the subject is general advice where individual yacht practises are not exposed, there should be no issue with people leaving their names
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 9:07 PM
Or like junior says, create a fake name, remain anonymous but with a history and an identifier so you know who you are addressing.
d_meister
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:56 PM

Hi, I check in on this forum regularly, and post occasionally. I, too, think that the post anonymously feature is abused.

Average 0 out of 5