Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Captain och Chief Stew?
Agersand
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:57 PM

When you dockwalk and approaching yachts and crews in search for jobs, is it the Chief Stew or the Captain I want to talk to if I'm searching position as a regular stew? Go easy on me now, I'm new to this
junior
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 7:22 AM

If the yacht is under management its best to submit your resume to management. I dont know how all management companies operate but the one Im associated with constantly forwards selected resumes to its yachts with comments like EU citizen, tri lingual, on station Antibes ..... If youre delivering your resume directly to the boat its more complicated...if the yachts engineer is looking for a helper, you would be wise to approach the engineer first, discuss his needs then hand him your paperwork. As a stewardess its logical to approach the chief stewardess first.
Captain Andy
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:55 PM

Even on Managed Yachts, I'm always taking and reading CVs. On larger yachts the Mate is the one to hand your CV into as he is usually on Deck. He leaves it in the wheelhouse, then once it is read, you could receive a phone call! Please don't expect the Chief Stew on a 50m+ yacht to come out for a chat. If she did that 5 times a day, then thats an hour of productivity lost! But Junior is right ..... get you CV to the Management Companies .... they are very easy to find through Google. Hope this helps! Good luck on finding a position in the Industry!
Agersand
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:16 AM

Thanks for your time and great advice! I thought of the agencies but I've heard the don't really give you that much and since I'm gonna live in Palma regularly and has spent some time in the marina since my old lady's sisters husband(yeah I know..) has been working as captain on few larger sailingyachts there and he told me to just dockwalk, introduce myself and hand over a CV here and there, makes it easier for the people that possibly wanna hire me to see that I'm no kid whos there to party or have a good vication instead of work hard and earn a good reputation in the bussiness.
Captain Andy
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:44 AM

Agersand, just to let you know that I've heard through my grapevine that Palma is dead ..... no yachts, therefore, no work! However, if you have inside connections then you might be lucky!
Agersand
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:58 AM

Yeah it's abit in the last minute now but I spoke to few personers that live in central Palma and they said that there are still some left and few make a short stop there to fix things but I just hope for the best and use my contacts as a last option and in worst case scenario I'll just have to make a flight somewhere but thats stuff I already have taken into considoration. Otherwise there will always be next year, just have to entertain myself until the come back

Average 0 out of 5