Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
yacht crew rescued off fastnet rock
kapt_mark
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 9:24 PM

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0815/breaking49.html
junior
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 10:00 PM

http://fastnet.rorc.org/ American racing yacht RAMBLER 100 has capsized between the Fastnet Rock and the Pantaenius Buoy. The Irish Coastguard services are coordinating the rescue. The Baltimore RNLI lifeboat is on the scene. Two Sikorsky helicopters have been scrambled and an Irish Naval vessel is en route to the scene of the accident. All 22 crew accounted for
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:10 PM

Dockwalk received this account and photos of the incident off Fastnet Rock from Gunboat, the Team Phaedo media team.

"Whilst Team Phaedo Media Team were preparing for Phaedo’s arrival at the Fastnet rock, there was a call from the Irish Coastguard, for all ships in the area to be on standby.

Being the only boat that had braved the weather and high seas for the ultimate photograph of ones yacht at "The Rock," we immediately abandoned project and called in to help.

All crew on the up-turned hull of Rambler 100 were fine and well, but five crew had drifted off from the up-turned hull and were no longer in sight. We searched the area were they had received a personal EBIRB transmission from and miraculously found the missing five crew after they had been in the water for three hours.

We pulled aboard our dive vessel owner George David and his four crew members who had all been strapped together, cold, but healthy, happy, safe, and well.

Team Phaedo…your Media Team promise to catch you at the finish Rolex Fastnet Race 2011."

Rachel Jaspersen
Marketing Director
GUNBOAT
+1-401-924-2932
rachel@gunboat.com
www.gunboat.com

Capt. Steve
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:22 PM

Adding to Junior's link and Janine's pictures, the video update and interview can be seen here:
http://fastnet.rorc.org/news-2011/race-updates-2011/video-rambler-100-and-monohull-record.html

Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:18 PM

Well is it me or does that yacht centerboard look just a little bit small to you? No-wonder the bloody thing capsized. We were out in that wind watching them off, Phaedo passed just abeam of us looking great and it was very rough indeed especially off the Needles. Infact the wind dropped later on around 5.30pm, so we went into Poole for the night
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:04 AM
Ed, A centerboard, by definition, has nothing to with keeping a boat upright beyond rotational interia, it simply creates lift. A 3m+ board seems perfectly reasonable and would probably represent max draft or close to. The bit thats missing, the canting keel, would be the reason you can see the dull side instead of the shiny side.
junior
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:34 AM

Rambler is a swing keel bilgeboard yacht. The lead keel failed and she lost righting moment http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/article/5879/voiliers-d-exception-portrait-et-plan-de-formes-rambler-100-anatomie-d-un-monstre
Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:30 AM

I stand corrected, thanks everyone for pointing out that the swinging keel had fallen off. Now I think of it, Rambler 100 also passed abeam of us on starboard and we gave way, off Keyhaven, there were some very strange banging noises coming from her. I commented on this to one of my crew, perhaps this comment should be passed on to the Rambler 100 team and they can contact me via here if they require more detail. Yours 'aye

Average 0 out of 5