Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What's the first thing you do when the boss gets off???
Matt Paint
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:42 AM

What is the first thing you do when the boss gets off, or the charter season ends? I like to just get away from the boat, the crew and find my space.
junior
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:53 AM

The second the boss gets off, the crew don work overalls, perform the routine maintenance, clean the big mess up, then attack all the worn out broken machinery so that the yacht does not become an engineering black hole. No use putting works on a dreamy work list then going to the bar and praying that the owner gives you a bag of cash for contractors and dayworkers. I suggest you do the same.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:59 PM
[Comment removed by moderator]

Matt Paint
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:16 PM

Junior is an appropriate name for you, it seems you've let to learn that managing men and machines requires balance. If you push people or machinery too far, failures will occur. So once again what do crew like to do when the boss gets off and the charter season ends, everyone knows they have to look after the boat, I just wanted to know how Crew (you) look after their individual wellbeing when quieter times arrive.
beachbum
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 10:37 AM

The bike will be reassembled and I´ll just cycle as far as I can in 2 hours, find a beach or somewhere really quiet, put the iPod in and let my mind wander, followed by returning to the boat and more than likely going out that evening. And yes, I will drink more than I probably should but I feel like it has been earned.

sean
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 2:03 PM

Not the 1st time young Junior has missed the point. I think He believes that owners peruse these forums and that his strong worded work ethic will land him a gig granting him admiral of all 'pro' yacht captains. We live a grand lifestyle in our off time....enjoy the benefits of travel and getting to experience the world
Chelsey Buckland
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:17 AM

I like to go to a spa and enjoy a day of being pampered!..and maybe a little cocktail by the pool after the treatment.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:00 PM
Once the boss is off all you want to do is pack up and party! but in my experience its never gone that way! time to start the wash down, stow the cushions, cover the seats, unpack coolers etc. once everything is done ill probably end up being on watch. if im one of the fortunate ones ill manage to get off the boat and go out for a meal and 3 beers before i pass out! working 140 or so hrs over the past 10 days can take it out of you. the Captain will probably have a showing planned for the next day which means a early start or well have to move the boat for some reason or we will have contractors come early or provisions arrive or something like that. this is yachting! sleep when you dead.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:51 PM
A bit a rest and fun and then the work really starts normally for engineering and deck crew with maintenance and cleaning. It always amazes me how the captain who waxes lyrical so much while the guests are on board about team work and helping in all areas (ie his stew wife) with dishes, laundry etc... seems happy to let them all disappear enmasse for extended shopping trips and never lift a scrub brush, ever. As soon  as the guests leave, they are left with light duties, re-dusting hermetically sealed cabins and start an hour later and finish an hour earlier every day! Added to that, the precious hour out of the sun for lunch is so often interrupted to load food. Cant they improve their timing?

Kacy
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:51 PM

First things first, get the boat cleaned for the most part.  You never know, the boss may come back in a couple of hours for an unseen reason!  Usually I like to get off the boat and walk around for a while. It's nice to have a break without streesing about the boat being clean and the boss being on board.  A crew dinner to celebrate usually follows!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:38 PM
I have a cheeky, long, hot shower and then just carry on working hard in my normal routine.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:57 AM
I absolutely loved hearing all this BS...you know very well that you all drink until you drop as soon if not during the boss's exit...vegetarians please get out of the business you make it too difficult for the rest of us.....later!
juanita
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:12 AM

Make sure his flight has left, light a fag, crack a beer or a bottle of bubbles and sit on the aft deck getting shit-faced with the rest of the crew. C'mon people, we all know thats what we really do, all this crap about cleaning etc comes after.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:45 AM
hahaha this made me laugh... if theres one procedure that every yacht follows (apart from maybe juniors) is this one: Drop Off, Cover, Rinse Down, (if needed), Crew meeting with bubbles, tips and updates, Beers on the dock, Drunken Shower, Loud Music in Cabins, More Beers waiting in the crew mess for the girls, Hit some swanky Bar and get absolutely shitfaced, Wake up (hopefully in a nice hotel with some hottie next to you), Rendezvous at the beach club with crew, Theres champagne flowing and its on the captain and the hottie you met last night is back and you look at her through your very expensive sunglasses you just bought and think.... i have worked my white arse for this and i deserve every second of it ! Cheers!!

Average 0 out of 5